Maxijet 1200 Pumping (Head height)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just acquired a free 10G glass tank that I plan on forming a sump with for my 29G SW FOWLR.

I have a spare maxijet 1200 powerhead that I want to use as a return pump, its rated at 295 GPH. I have a CPR backpack overflow box to provide water into the sump (which has a flow rate of 300gph)

The water is being pumped up approximately four feet (give or take). What output am I actually getting from my maxijet? I can't find any tables online (like the ones that mag-drive posts).

Will a maxijet work for me? or should I buy some mag-drive pump?

Once again, it's a 10G sump for a 29G tank. The sump is about 4 feet below the display tank.

I would go with a pump that's actually made to return water. The maxi-jet 1200 is a powerhead mainly used for circulation. At 4' you will hardly get any flow out of this PH. If your looking for a cheap quality pump I'd check out the Quiet One line of pumps.

with that head height and that pump you might be actually getting about 20 gallons an hour or something rediculously small. i like the mag pumps but have heard they dont have the durability of some other pumps. i guess iw ill find out eventually.

Acutally folks you would be supprised at the ability of the MJ1200 at 4' head. Smonkey might be close with his estimate of 20GPH. While I have never timed it I us a 1200 to pump water back into the tank from a 5 gal bucket and it takes a couple minutes per bucket to pump. A 20GPH pump would pump 1 gal every 3 minutes. My guess would be 60GPH at that head pressure.

reefnewb said:
Aren't all quiet one's external? I recommend a smaller MAG. Like a mag 5.

R-
''Quiet one's are internal or external. Just got a 4000 for my new tank. It was between that and another mag drive 9.5, thought I'd try something new and it was a lot cheaper :D

I'd probably go with a Mag 5. Make sure you put a valve on the output side of it so you can regulate the flow if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom