May have nuked my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHARPiE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,
Went to do my weekly PWC earlier - and I noticed one of my Cardinals missing. I thought nothing of it and went on doing my PWC, while I was siphoning out the gravel and water, I noticed my Stromb snail hadn't moved in about a week. So I picked up the shell, and all this gooey STINKY sludge came out. I mean this smelled HORRIBLE (hermits didn't clean him up).

To make things worse, I found the cardinal... stuck to the back of the power head.

I continued doing the PWC, and noticed that the tank now smelled like the rotting snail... I have another batch of water being made up, so I will do another 20% water change.

Has anyone heard of a dead snail stinking out the whole tank?
Will this damage the remaining inhabitants?

Will get parameters up shortly.

Cheers

When snails croak and sit for a bit they do make a stink. Doing another PW and running some fresh carbon should get rid of the smell in a day or two. The smell won't bother the other tank mates and as long as your readings are coming out safe then they'll be fine. Just don't breathe near the tank for a bit lol.

When snails croak and sit for a bit they do make a stink. Doing another PW and running some fresh carbon should get rid of the smell in a day or two. The smell won't bother the other tank mates and as long as your readings are coming out safe then they'll be fine. Just don't breathe near the tank for a bit lol.

+1

Thanks for the info -
I don't think I have EVER smelled anything that bad.
Did another PWC today, and it has gone back to the organic dirt kinda smell it used to have. No more gagging around the tank.

Back
Top Bottom