Micro Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waffle3008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I've been having some problems with micro bubbles taking over my tank and not sure how to get rid of them. I attached two pictures, one of the bubbles and one of my sump set up.

Do I need to add more water to my sump? its a 92 gallon corner tank. Currently the skimmer is off due to a copper treatment going through the system.

Also I was recently told that its a bad idea to add live rock to the system after its been established? The tank has been set up and running for about 2 months. If it matters I plan on introducing dry rock to the set up. There is a large piece of live rock in there now with a couple of dry rock pieces.

Thanks!
img_1569974_0_62b9e45edd5cca272d7d0efb2c5ea7d5.jpg

img_1569974_1_c5fb207b0f480c75b630847ea35b5444.jpg

you'll never be able to keep any inverts in that tank now that you've added copper to it. i wouldn't add any live rock to the tank because the copper will also ruin that rock, but the reason people say this is that it might cause a spike, depending on how much die off is on it. if you want to add a substantial amount of rock, you should consider cycling it in another container before adding.
yes, i would definitely raise the water level and see how that goes.

Lfs told me that if I did the treatment in the dt that shouldn't be much of an issue if I did a parge water change and then a carbon treatment afetr. Is this true?

Ill also try adding some more water in the sump when I get home. Do you think that 20lbs of dry rock would be bad to add during the water change?

Thanks again!

Sorry for the typos typing this on my phone. Meant large and after

Base rock is fine, won't raise any ammonia or trites. Copper is a killer to inverts, LR, and corals. Like taking lil pieces of metal and ripping it through it's flesh. Wouldn't recommend it at all!

Thanks, have hopes that the water change and carbon will work so we will see this weekend. If not is there way to get the copper completely out such as replace rock sand and water?

replacing the rock, sand, and water may do it. i have heard people say copper also sits in the caulk seals, but i've used a tank treated with copper as a reef later on and had no ill effects.

about your micro bubbles...
i had a trickle wet/dry filter like you with a skimmer like yours also..
My return powerhead was shredding the tank with microbubbles, I recently bought a sump to replace the wet/dry filter and that eliminated all my bubble problems.. I never fixed the microbubble problem with my trickle filter so i just got rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom