Missing Sea Slug and Dead Goatfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbnimble

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I came home today to a most mysterious scene. Both my purple sea slug and bicolor goatfish were gone. My tank only has a very thin (1/4") slit that is open. I searched around the tank (it's on a dresser against the wall - had to take out the drawers to check under the dresser) and there weren't any carpet surfers. I look around in all the nooks and crannies in my live rock and couldn't find anything.

Finally, I decided the only place that I hadn't checked was in the little set of tunnels my diamond goby dug under one of the pieces of rock. I lifted up the rock and there was the goatfish practically buried in the sand (I have about 2 inches of fine LS as the base). I poked around the same place for the sea slug, but couldn't find anything.

I inspected the poor dead goatfish and there weren't any visible signs of distress (to my untrained eyes at least). He's been in the tank about 2 weeks. For the first week, my coral beauty was really bothering him. I moved around the rocks a bit and everything settled down (LFS suggested I do this if the coral beauty was getting too territorial).

So, I have a few questions. Just to give some background, I have a 30g FOWLR tank that's been running for a few months. The only deaths I've had so far are 2 turbo snails that died when my original filter got messed up and kicked back filter scum into the tank. Up until some time today my tank was stocked with a bicolor goatfish, coral beauty, diamond goby, turbo snail, purple sea slug, and 2 margarita snails.

All that being said, would any of the fish above have eaten the sea slug? If it's the goatfish, is it possible that's what killed him?

What a bummer.........

It is possible that he ate the slug and it was too much for him. That goat fish is a sand sifter/invert eater so I'd put my money on him eating the slug. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the response. If this is indeed what happened (goatfish ate sea slug and died), I am going to be very upset with my LFS as they sold me both the goatfish and sea slug at the same time and didn't say anything about one possibly eating the other.

I'll be honest, up until now I've trusted my LFS. But, I guess from here on out I need to get second and third opinions from elsewhere before putting anything else in my tank. I hate knowing that a poor creature died because of me.

Back
Top Bottom