MOLD on Live Rock?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayna

Aquarium Advice Regular
well i came home from work today to find that it looks like the "good" parts on our live rock have turned into mold. its turned like fuzzy light purple...

Should i be worried?

well i came home from work today to find that it looks like the "good" parts

What do you mean "the good parts" Is the LR new? Was the LR cured when you got it? Most LRwill go through a die off period unless completely cured subject to very little time out of water. You are probably just seeing some die off. Is the rock in a tank with livestock? Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and if there are fish in the tank I would do water changes to keep the ammonia from getting to high.

there are no fish in the tank. so the ammonia couldnt be to high....

the rock wasnt completely cured when we bought it.

when i say good parts i mean like.... the parts that look alive. haha

Here it is here....

mold.jpg

From the pics it could be die off or even an encrusting sponge of some sort. If the rock is new and uncured probably die-off. Your tank will go through a cycle or mini cycle. With no fish in the tank the cycling isn't really a problem. If the "mold" bothers you siphon it off otherwise it will probably be gone shortly.

No this is normal. you would get it off by blowing a turkey baster. If you dont have one yet youll use it all the time in your tank maintenance.

looks like encrusting sponge to me too. Won't be there too long, other stuff will grow right over the top of it.

Back
Top Bottom