More filtration questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess.irene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Okay, so I was informed last time I asked, that live rock is supposed to be your main filtration in a FOWLR tank, and that flow/circulation aid the filtration. So do I need an extra filter as well, or is live rock and a wave maker enough??

Looking at a 200L capacity after the addition of sand. With approx. 25kg of live rock plus the live sand after cycling. Will have a skimmer and a wave maker, is this enough filtration for that sized tank? No sump as I don't yet understand the workings or setup.

Do I NEED a skimmer with a tank that size?

Thanks. :)

I ran a 55g with just live sand, rock, a skimmer and a couple of power heads. Research the Berlin method, it worked for me for many years until I upgraded tanks. Weekly water changes are must, I used to do 10% weekly.

I ran a 55g with just live sand, rock, a skimmer and a couple of power heads. Research the Berlin method, it worked for me for many years until I upgraded tanks. Weekly water changes are must, I used to do 10% weekly.

and therein lies the caveat.
Yes you can run a system utilizing only live rock/sand/skimmer, BUT you do need to do more frequent water changes than you most likely would if utilizing additional filtration methods.
six of one/half dozen of the other.

personally I would go with as much as you can afford/manage, at least as far as biological filtration goes.
rather have more than is needed than borderline.

Back
Top Bottom