Mushrooms keep falling off the rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy68

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have several red mushroom things that were well established on the rocks that we bought them on. Have had them for several months now and they have fallen off the rocks. Not dying, just falling off the rock. Tried to reposition them but... They won't stay. How can I get them to establish again so they won't die? They still look healthy but... Concerned.

Wendy68 said:
We have several red mushroom things that were well established on the rocks that we bought them on. Have had them for several months now and they have fallen off the rocks. Not dying, just falling off the rock. Tried to reposition them but... They won't stay. How can I get them to establish again so they won't die? They still look healthy but... Concerned.

It's normal. I had a rock covered with purple mushrooms. I'm talking loads! And another rock with all bright green ones.

Now the rocks are bare and there are mushrooms all over my tank lol. There popping up all over. They just separate from the rock when they feel like it and then let the current take them like in nature.

Funny thing, I actually have a snail with one of my purple mushrooms on its shell! It's funny watching this mushroom crawl all over the tank lol.

There is one growing in an empty shell in our tank too. Looks cool. Guess we will just let stuff happen as it does then. Like I said, they don't appear to be dying so... Thanks, you have put mind at ease. What are the purple and green ones called. Would love to get some of those. They would add great color to our FOWLR tank.

Wendy68 said:
There is one growing in an empty shell in our tank too. Looks cool. Guess we will just let stuff happen as it does then. Like I said, they don't appear to be dying so... Thanks, you have put mind at ease. What are the purple and green ones called. Would love to get some of those. They would add great color to our FOWLR tank.

Not sure what the exact name is lol. I just go to LFS and see green, purple, red, orange, fuzzy mushrooms etc...

I have all colors just popping up all over. I say enjoy. One day you'll see one in one spot then one pops up somewhere else!

:)

It is my understanding that sometimes they detach from a rock because they are not happy with the lighting or current. Moving them to lower/higher light and/or flow areas sometimes will prevent this.

Maybe I'll try and move the rocks into a slower flow area and put the mushrooms beside them. Maybe they will anchor themselves again. If not it still sounds like they should be okay..??

Keithhjs said:
It is my understanding that sometimes they detach from a rock because they are not happy with the lighting or current. Moving them to lower/higher light and/or flow areas sometimes will prevent this.

That may be one reason yes...

But,mushrooms do reproduce like that... They will move an inch or so, leaving a piece of their foot behind. That foot will grow into a full fledged mushroom in time. I had one red mushroom on a rock, now I have 4 because the thing walked all over. It's weird, they stretch out, anchor somewhere else then the strand that is between the 2 anchor spots breaks and the little nublet that's left behind grows.

That sounds cool. Is there such a thing as too many mushrooms in a tank? We have a 90 gallon and I would love to get some of those purple and green ones.

Wendy68 said:
That sounds cool. Is there such a thing as too many mushrooms in a tank? We have a 90 gallon and I would love to get some of those purple and green ones.

IMO... Nope! Go for it!

Yeah. On the hunt for some colorful fungus. Never thought I would say that. :)

Back
Top Bottom