My 40 Gallon setup...what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowTang03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have finally gotten my 40 gallon breeder how I want. As far as setup it has a cascade 1500 canister filter, aqua c protein skimmer, cree LED aquarium light with adjustable ballast, 60 lbs of ultra fiji live rock, 60 lbs of pink fiji live sand. As far as live stock I have 2 false percula clowns, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 red stripe high fin goby, 1 white tailed pygmy angel, and 1 fuzzy dwarf lion fish, 15 red leg hermit crabs, 10 snails, and 1 peppermint shirmp. I am eventually wanting to start adding coral. What powerheads would you all recommend or do I need them with my big filter I have...it creates some pretty good current..made to filter 125 gallons. I will get pics soon hopefully. Let me know what you think!

you'll have to do weekly maintenance on the canister filter if you want to run it, (canister filters are considered freshwater technology) 60 lbs of live rock in a 40 gallon IMO is going to crowd up your tank a little, i like to do a lb a gallon of water. livestock is pretty good, but the lion fish wont work that well, its to small of a tank for it, its also a predator so itll prolly eat all crabs and small fish, the protein skimmer is good i have the aqua c remora skimmer and it skims well.

IMO I think you might do ok with 60lb of lr. Might be crowded but it all depends on the look your going for and livestock you plan on keeping.
Agreed that the lion fish will have to go if you plan on keeping inverts. All other livestock will do just fine.
Another option would be to switch the canister filter to a hob filter like an emperor or other. That is how I had my 80g reef set up.
Other than the filter and the lion fish you seem to be reef ready.
You will want to supplement the flow with probably 2- koralia 550 or 2- mj 1200. From personal experience the koralias give you a good wide flow.
Sounds good. Pics would be great.

I will get some pics up here next week probably. Gotta get the rock how I want and such and then pics will def be up!!:)

IMO I think you might do ok with 60lb of lr. Might be crowded but it all depends on the look your going for and livestock you plan on keeping.
Agreed that the lion fish will have to go if you plan on keeping inverts. All other livestock will do just fine.
Another option would be to switch the canister filter to a hob filter like an emperor or other. That is how I had my 80g reef set up.
Other than the filter and the lion fish you seem to be reef ready.
You will want to supplement the flow with probably 2- koralia 550 or 2- mj 1200. From personal experience the koralias give you a good wide flow.
Sounds good. Pics would be great.
Ok I will def look into the power heads. I was wondering which ones would be good to go with. Thanks!!

If its in your budget, ecotech vortech mp10 is a great pump, i have one and its fantastic

I was actually looking at those today. Heard great things about them!

There absolutely great, they move a massive amount of water and have really cool settings, make my tank look like the ocean with waves in it

My canister filter causes a pretty good water movement now so will the power heads be to much? My filter is rated for a 125 gallon tank.

My canister filter causes a pretty good water movement now so will the power heads be to much? My filter is rated for a 125 gallon tank.

For now I think you'll be fine. If there is the flow that you say. I would definitely look into new filtration if you decide to go with a reef. Also vortec pumps are awesome. They are on the pricey side though.

have 65# in my 40b and it still needs more so it totally depends on the rock
attachment.php

this is florida live rock

have 65# in my 40b and it still needs more so it totally depends on the rock

this is florida live rock

Yea, really depends on the density. I know that BRS dry rock is heavier than lr. So you would need more to cove the same area.

The rock I have is ultra Fiji rock. I think I will be fine. Worst happens it is crowded and my buddy will buy some lol.

Well my 40 breeder is turnin out good. My new dwarf white tail angel and dwarf fuzzy lion fis came in. The angel made it but the dwarf was dead when I opened the box. My tank now has 2 false percula clowns, 1 dwarf white tail angel, 1 red stripe high fin goby(tiny guy), and 1 6 line wrasse. Is there one more fish that is really neat that anyone would suggest?

Well my 40 breeder is turnin out good. My new dwarf white tail angel and dwarf fuzzy lion fis came in. The angel made it but the dwarf was dead when I opened the box. My tank now has 2 false percula clowns, 1 dwarf white tail angel, 1 red stripe high fin goby(tiny guy), and 1 6 line wrasse. Is there one more fish that is really neat that anyone would suggest?

African Fire Fish

I already have a small goby in my tank... Would like a actual 2-3" fish. I would live to have a coral bueaty or flame angel but I already have a white tail dwarf Pygmy angel. Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom