My first salrwater fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bms0565

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody my name is Brian I'm new to salt water fish tank I started my fish tank last week with the crushed coral salt water mixture and everything's been running for a week now I'm playing the waiting game before I add fish taking everything slowly any advice would be much appreciated

Hinds04 said:
Did you do something to start a cycle?

Not yet I just found out I need to put in a shrimp in my tank it's 40 gal will two shrimp do and I need to get some live rock

Not yet I just found out I need to put in a shrimp in my tank it's 40 gal will two shrimp do and I need to get some live rock

I would think one shrimp will be enough to get you started. It's just going in to get some food for the beneficial bacteria you want to grow. I don't think you'll gain any benefit (and it might actually smell worse) from doubling up.

You ideally want to get your ammonia level up to 4ppm. And be able to sustain that while the cycle progresses. I use pure ammonia, no stink and you can dose right to where you want it. :) You may have to add additional shrimp as time goes on though. Good trick, put the shrimp in a panythose foot, a brand new one, or a womans knee high stocking so removal of the decomposed shrimp is easier. :)

carey said:
You ideally want to get your ammonia level up to 4ppm. And be able to sustain that while the cycle progresses. I use pure ammonia, no stink and you can dose right to where you want it. :) You may have to add additional shrimp as time goes on though. Good trick, put the shrimp in a panythose foot, a brand new one, or a womans knee high stocking so removal of the decomposed shrimp is easier. :)

Should I keep the filter and heater on why it's cycling

Yep for sure. you want the filter to also have the beneficial bacteria in it. More bacteria the better. :)

Looking to get a powerhead I have a 40 gallon tank should I get one for 40 gallon or larger

Aquarium Water Pumps & Water Movement: Marineland Maxi-Jet PRO

I have a 37 and got the 600 model in the link above and set it up as a water circulating pump. I found it was too much for my LPS (and sand for that matter) and had to really reposition some rockwork to deflect a lot of flow. If I had to do it over, I definitely would have gotten the 400. If I needed more, I could have simply added another 400. Two smalls beats one big in case you loose one, and it offers more flexibility for placement, etc.

carey said:
For a 40g tank I like the Koralia powerheads, i'd go with 2 550's. :)

I'll pick one up. Lost 3 Damsels this week and I got them Friday

Are you trying to do a cycle with fish? If those were the only 3 fish you had I would recomend finishing as a "fishless" cycle. Much more humane. Here is a very good article that will help you out. I think you will be glad if you go this route.

Cycle your salt tank

I have a Aiptasia Anemone growing in my tank is that bad

It's just on one small rock I'll just get rid of the rock

Back
Top Bottom