My FOWLR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read your article Andy, some things are clearer for me now. There is an aquarist here in Mexico who has a quarantine system in place and always working, and if a fish has problems then he goes to the hospital tank and leaves his quarantine tank without fish for several weeks (My main tank will be without fish at least 90 days) so I was talking to him too, and most likely he keeps a quarantine tank running always, the size I'm thinking of is 30 gallons, but I'm going to take it easy. So this idea of ​​quarantine would work for me more like a "separate main tank" or something like that, I have the idea of ​​installing it with a bare bottom (to prevent any parasite from having the opportunity to lodge in the sand or aragonite, and also to have easier to clean fish waste on the bottom), put rock, a HOB filter and a small wave generator. What's your opinion about it?
By the way, I kept some rocks and water from my water changes in a separate bucket before my new fish arrived, so there is no chance they have parasite cysts, I will test the water chemistry and probably start my QT tank with that, thanks again Andy.
Yeah, the problem most people have with a QT tank is that they don't want a tank just sitting there. They want to add more fish to it like a " normal" tank. lol As you read, that defeats the purpose of the tank... but to each their own. :facepalm:
The thing with marine fish is that the majority of them are still wild caught so they can have things internally that unless treated at the collection place/ wholesale house/ retail store, etc, they can come out in YOUR tank. :banghead: Because of all the possibilities for treatment today, I can't even recommend treating the fish when you first get them like we used to do. :( So it is more a wait and see thing today thus the need for a quarantine period. (y)

Well, it's possible that I will be setting up the tank in the next few weeks, I now have a contact who quarantines the saltwater fish and "vaccinates" them against Cryptocarion and oodinum, with an oregano based method, so I would buy fish from there and they would still receive my quarantine before moving on to the main tank, I think that's a good idea.

Well, it's possible that I will be setting up the tank in the next few weeks, I now have a contact who quarantines the saltwater fish and "vaccinates" them against Cryptocarion and oodinum, with an oregano based method, so I would buy fish from there and they would still receive my quarantine before moving on to the main tank, I think that's a good idea.

Sounds great. (y)(y) Just remember, there is more to diseases than parasites so maintain that quarantine schedule. :fish2:
Keep us posted. (y)

Back
Top Bottom