My RIP emerald crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicodelmar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi-

I feel like a :banghead: for asking, but it still bothers me, especially after going to my LFS and not being able to describe what happened to my emerald crab.

After 2 months or so (in a FOWLR) it started developing some white scum/ cottony/moldy stuff on its shell, on the top of it. At first I thought it was molding, or something got stuck, it was still active and such, and well, after a month it died.

I went to my LFS and he told me my aquarium probably needed calcium. True, it is the one I have not changed water for 4 months. But hey! What can consume calcium so quickly that the poor thing died after 2/3 months?

My feeling is that he would not agree (since I bought everything from him) that perhaps some sort of fungi came with the whole thing and got the best of it.

But perhaps, i am wrong, please, tell me what it could be.

Sorry, i feel like a schmuck, did not take any pic.

Last edited:
What are your parameters and you didn't do a water change for 4 months?

I don't know much about crabs, so I will let the others chime in on that (following along to learn though)...

What I do know is that not doing partial water changes for months on end is not going to work well in saltwater. It borders on amazing that your nitrates are so low after that much time.

I would recommend having your water tested for trace elements.
There is a ton of debate over water changes, but one thing i can say is if your not going to change your water than you must add supplements for trace elements and alkalinity because they will slowly be drained from your tank.

There is a ton of debate over water changes, but one thing i can say is if your not going to change your water than you must add supplements for trace elements and alkalinity because they will slowly be drained from your tank.

Yes, I agree that at one point the trace elements would need some how to be replenished. Although I did not have corals or anything that would consume trace elements that rapidly. Obviously not overstocked, just the live rocks ... but i had live sand, with plenty of crushed shells, which if i am not mistaken would release minerals through the biomineralization process initiated by bacteria.

Yes, i believe they would need to be replenished at one point. I called a friend of a friend who works at UC Berkeley as an assistant professor in biology. I am hoping to get a better understanding of this ...

thx

best way to find out is to do a test.
you could send your water to aquarium water testing .com

I don't know much about crabs, so I will let the others chime in on that (following along to learn though)...

What I do know is that not doing partial water changes for months on end is not going to work well in saltwater. It borders on amazing that your nitrates are so low after that much time.

Well, i have two 10g aquariums, one is 14 mo and the other one 4. The last one has been treated with aquabella bio-enzyme and that's where the crab resided. the other older one with nothing, just regular water change 20% x2/ mo.

I don't have a good recollection of what the older one looked like after 4 mo, but one thing for sure, the water was not as clear as the new one and always had a bit of a nitrate issue.

Back
Top Bottom