My Water test levels and a problem....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I just got my API test kits in the mail...and here is where my water is at:

KH - 107.4 ppm
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.2
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Nitrite - 0
Salinity - 1.020

How are those numbers? I also took back the 2 emerald crabs I had purchased, since they were eating EVERYTHING, including some of my hitchikers.

Also, my biggest hermit crab died...I found him out of his shell. Any ideas why?

Oh, and I purchased a percula clown with the discount from the crabs!

Not sure about the KH but your other numbers look good. You may want to bring up the salinity to 1.022-.026 (slowly). It's fine there if you are doing FOWLR.
The crab could have just molted. Give him about 3-4 days. The hermit crab molts look even more real than other crabs and shrimp.
Are you using a hydrometer?

Yeah, I have a hydrometer. I hope the crab molted...lol. He was the biggest one and by far the coolest looking. And he just had switched shells too...

The KH guide the test kit came with said I'm in the optimal area...so that is good.

The dead thing looks like him...with a coloured front body, and a clear lower body...I'll keep an eye out though.

HEY...I think it did possibly molt...it's hard to see because the new shell he is in is on a rock, but I managed to pear inside it, and I'm pretty sure I saw 2 legs sticking out...!!! Man, that'll be **** cool if it's a molt and not a corpse lol.

Yeah, they go into hiding until their exoskeletons harden.

Looking back on your previous posts, I'm not sure if this tank ever really cycled. Did you ever add anything to it (cocktail shrimp, fish food, etc) to give it an ammonia source to start the cycle?

I know you used "live" rock to start with, but it's still not clear if that rock was really "live" with bacteria. And the fact that it's been sitting for a month without feeding the tank leads to wonder if any bacteria that might've been in there hasn't died already.

Usually measurable nitrates means the tank has cycled and all the ammonia/nitrites have been converted to nitrates. But you're using tap water in this tank and that could be where your nitrate readings are coming from.

So I guess my point is... since you have a fish in there now, watch the ammonia levels daily to make sure you don't get a spike. Wouldn't hurt to have a fair amount of saltwater mixed up and stored in case you end up with a cycle.

Hey Kurt,

The scenario you describe could be entirely possible. If by chance it starts to actually cycle...just keep everything as is right? Now that the clown is in there and the 5 hermits...?

If I see an ammonia spike, how much of a water change should I do?

Also, if the bacteria that was in there died...what do I need to do to introduce new bacteria? Will I need some new live rock?

As an add-on to my above post...I was figuring the detritous from the live rock would have cycled the tank on it's own?

If not, the last thing I want to do is cycle the tank with my poor clown and hermits in there!!!

As an add-on to my above post...I was figuring the detritous from the live rock would have cycled the tank on it's own?

That's entirely possible and happens often. But if it did, and then the bacteria didn't have "food" (ammonia source), the bacteria could've died off somewhat. And without test results during those 4 weeks it's pretty much impossible to know what was going on during that time.

Not saying you're destined for a cycle... just saying to keep an eye on it and not assume you won't see one.

If ammonia does start showing up, I'd do whatever water changes you need to, to keep it under 0.25ppm or so. Impossible to say how much of a water change that would be because of not knowing how high the ammonia would be. A good starting point would probably be 20% daily - that's what I've done when my quarantine tank needs a couple days to catch up.

Regarding the bacteria... you won't need to add anything - that's the cool thing. You'll get all you need from the air!

Thanks again! I checked the ammonia level today and it's still holding steady at zero. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom