"NANO" Biocube question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
really? it's going to be cheaper? cause if you actually add up the filter, sand, rock, salt mix, and the list goes on! i think (or i thought) that it would be more expensive to buy separate... because i do have a 20g tank already that is empty! you think i should do that? now for a tank that size, what would i actually need to buy... i mean the list up there is pretty much all i know... cause i've never done saltwater so is there any special filter? can someone list everything i need separate please? i would really appreciate it!

It will be a lot cheaper, in my experience. I have set up everything from 3 gallon picos to 150 gallon tanks. 20 gallons will be plenty of room, I'm sure, for a pair of clownfish and possibly a 3rd fish. Water quality will be easier to manage than an 8 gallon, but I would say its about the same if you do it right ( I started with a 3 gallon for my first saltwater tank).

The easy route is to buy a HOB filter (Aquaclear 50 or 70 should do, roughly $50), get a Hydor Theo heater ( 100 watt is enough, about $20), the new maxi jet power head pro (400 pro, rated at 110gph powerhead, and 500gph circulation pump, $20), now head over to Marco Rocks for 15lbs of dry nano rocks ($42) and 20lbs of dry sand ($30), go to a LFS and get 5 pounds of live rock (~$30 assuming its around $6/lbs).

That's less than $200. I didn't add salt mix or anything because you can probably find a LFS that can sell you saltwater, I wouldn't bother making my own for a tank this size. For lights I would probably go with

Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Quad Tube Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

That would bring you up to around $300. Close to the price of one 8 gallon Biocube. You can also cut the HOB filter buy making your own over flow chamber if you are handy with silicone :p and cut the cost by $50. :invasion:

I go to TCU, $40,000 a year and 2 saltwater tanks in my room. I am pretty good with conserving money without cutting corners and risking a major disaster.

Maybe I'm just a party pooper but you really shouldn't be starting a nano reef if you "don't have the time to take care of a saltwater tank," Biocube or not.

You can do a 20 gallon for about $300. That's close to the cost of a Biocube 8

Maybe I'm just a party pooper but you really shouldn't be starting a nano reef if you "don't have the time to take care of a saltwater tank," Biocube or not.

you ARE a party pooper.. if you have read everything i said,,, you would understand... i have no problem with water changes weekly... and it's very easy for a small tank PLUS this is for my GIRLFRIEND not me... and she loves clownfish so much that she is ready to do anything! she is a very active person .. changing water of a small tank is nothing for her. we've been together for 5 years i know her!

I did read the whole thread. It was never clear who would do maintenance and what your girlfriend knew about fishkeeping and saltwater tanks/reefs.
If she is willing to do consistent maintenance and knows how to properly care for the system then fine; I was just going by what was stated. It was unclear.
Didn't intend to offend, I'm just making sure all the inhabitants will be in good hands.

It will be a lot cheaper, in my experience. I have set up everything from 3 gallon picos to 150 gallon tanks. 20 gallons will be plenty of room, I'm sure, for a pair of clownfish and possibly a 3rd fish. Water quality will be easier to manage than an 8 gallon, but I would say its about the same if you do it right ( I started with a 3 gallon for my first saltwater tank).

The easy route is to buy a HOB filter (Aquaclear 50 or 70 should do, roughly $50), get a Hydor Theo heater ( 100 watt is enough, about $20), the new maxi jet power head pro (400 pro, rated at 110gph powerhead, and 500gph circulation pump, $20), now head over to Marco Rocks for 15lbs of dry nano rocks ($42) and 20lbs of dry sand ($30), go to a LFS and get 5 pounds of live rock (~$30 assuming its around $6/lbs).

That's less than $200. I didn't add salt mix or anything because you can probably find a LFS that can sell you saltwater, I wouldn't bother making my own for a tank this size. For lights I would probably go with

Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Quad Tube Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

That would bring you up to around $300. Close to the price of one 8 gallon Biocube. You can also cut the HOB filter buy making your own over flow chamber if you are handy with silicone :p and cut the cost by $50. :invasion:

I go to TCU, $40,000 a year and 2 saltwater tanks in my room. I am pretty good with conserving money without cutting corners and risking a major disaster.

that's very helpful man thanks!

I did read the whole thread. It was never clear who would do maintenance and what your girlfriend knew about fishkeeping and saltwater tanks/reefs.
If she is willing to do consistent maintenance and knows how to properly care for the system then fine; I was just going by what was stated. It was unclear.
Didn't intend to offend, I'm just making sure all the inhabitants will be in good hands.

not offended...
so here is the story.... long story short, she is in love with clownfish! and she is willing to take care of it... all i have to do is teach her what she needs to do and she will do it... we live together and i can always help her too... now i don't even think my tank is 20... i think it's only 15! it's just an old tank of mine... i just figured, adding water to a tank that big is VERY easy... besides having to buy salt mixes and water changes, and filter changes, what else is there? i mean i'm learning here myself but that should be about it... i know a lot of people say that at the beginning and then they stop caring but i don;t think i am like that.... i've always been passionate about aquariums all my life... so i think with the help of 2 of us, it shouldn't be a big deal! but if there is anything else beside the water+filter change, please do let me know cause like i said i'm still learning.. thanks dude!

I think the #1 thing is understanding the Nitrogen cycle. Kelsey's post on page 1 mentioned it. That post covers a whole lot.

not offended...
so here is the story.... long story short, she is in love with clownfish! and she is willing to take care of it... all i have to do is teach her what she needs to do and she will do it... we live together and i can always help her too... now i don't even think my tank is 20... i think it's only 15! it's just an old tank of mine... i just figured, adding water to a tank that big is VERY easy... besides having to buy salt mixes and water changes, and filter changes, what else is there? i mean i'm learning here myself but that should be about it... i know a lot of people say that at the beginning and then they stop caring but i don;t think i am like that.... i've always been passionate about aquariums all my life... so i think with the help of 2 of us, it shouldn't be a big deal! but if there is anything else beside the water+filter change, please do let me know cause like i said i'm still learning.. thanks dude!

A 15 gallon would be fine as well. I think the things I listed would be fine for a tank that size. Gives you more wiggle room than an 8 gallon. I think everyone here has given enough answers to begin. Just gather your materials and let the cycle begin. Water changes I would do maybe 5 gallons a week, maybe every other week, that's just me though. Water mixes I would just start off with LFS water, unless you want to mix it yourself than a pump, ro/di unit, a bucket, and a refractometer is needed. Daily water top off is also something you should do, I'd recommend a DIY auto top off (did mine for about $10) and only have to refill the top off water bucket every few months.

Looking forward to see pictures if you ever get it started

thanks very much guys! you all have been helpful! will save this page and gather all the info n get started soon... my cichlid tank is waiting to be completed as well! lots of work! but loving it...

So just to finalize the important things... power filter, circulation pump, salt, sand, live rocks, let it cycle and then check amonia + nitrate levels!

thanks again folks!

Wow i missed a lot, just caught up on the thread! Looks like your getting into a great start, make sure to post pics of everythingggg lol everyone here loves pictures!

When is her birthday?? Does she have any idea this is what you are planning to get her?

Wow i missed a lot, just caught up on the thread! Looks like your getting into a great start, make sure to post pics of everythingggg lol everyone here loves pictures!

When is her birthday?? Does she have any idea this is what you are planning to get her?

LOl welcome back!

well now she does.. and this turned into a regular gift... cause i wanted to make it a surprise for her bday in June but i had to talk about it .. i needed to know if she actually is willing to take care of it because it's a commitment... i mean it's a small tank but it's still a saltwater aquarium.. so looks like we will be starting this weekend! lol and sure i will post pics :)

And now another question guys... if you don't mind replying...

How would i get rid of nitrate and amonia in case of there being some in the water?!

Cause for my other freshwater tank, i'm still deciding if i should go with discus or african cichlids... (like i said i'm upgrading but i'm still deciding)

The new saltwater AND the discus tank will require SUPER low levels of amonia and nitrate... so i already have a canister filter... what else would you suggest for keeping an amonia and nitrate free tank?? also what's the easiest way to introduce CO2 to a planted tank? :):)

are there any additives? or anything that helps beside keeping the water clean, not overfeeding and all that?

That's probably a good idea to tell her about it....you couldn't get it all set up in one day anyways so it would be like "surprise here is a tank of rock and sand" haha

I try to stay away from all additives in my saltwater aquariums, the water changes should be enough to keep everything at a good stable level. Freshwater I'd assume would be the same. Additives tend to cause more problems in my opinion, especially in saltwater tanks. Some are not safe for the live rock, killing all beneficial bacteria, some cause murky water, some cause algae outbreaks, ect. I'm sure there might be some out there that are absolutely fine but i wouldn't know since I've never used them haha. I figure why add something that may have bad side effects if water changes work just as well and are a lot safer.

you should be good with a 14 gallon make sure you get them as babys tho even though it may take them awhile to grow when they are full adults they will probally outgrow the 14 gallon but if you get them as babys you should be ok for awhile, down the road just keep your eyes out for symptoms of stress and at that point just return em to the store or get a bigger tank but like i said thats way down the road so for a gift now you should be perfectly fine. you could throw some sea horses and pipefish with them 2 i believe my LFS has an awesome nano biocube with pipe fish sea horses and clowns and they look awesome your girlfriend will probally really like that (sea horses and pipe fish will require more attention and care tho just a headsup)

I'm sorry Jarrett but i think seahorses and pipefish in a 14 gallon with two clowns is a terrible idea.

- that is way overpopulated
- seahorses need to be fed twice a day...making the upkeep of that tank extremely hard
-clown fish eat extremely quickly compared to seahorses, therefore you will need to feed even more to ensure that the seahorses will get food
-seahorses will get stressed being in a tank that size with two clowns, since seahorses are extremely prone to any diseases they will likely get sick and die since they are also very hard to treat

The list could go on and this all applies for pipefish as well (pipefish also need a much larger tank, unless you got a bluestripe pipefish, which i would still not recommend)...Sorry for the little rant but i keep seahorses and have done ALOT of research on them. I would not recommend that for your 14 gallon unless it was a species only tank with two seahorses max (or dwarf seahorses), that is also a whole different setup in terms of flow, temp, salinity, and hitching posts.

Sorry again Jarrett I'm not trying to be completely rude and bash your post!

Not rude at all sir you make valid points but it is possible because I see the tank almost every day and its in perfect condition just requires a lot of care and attention

I agree with Kelsey. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean it's the right way to do things. Not only would the competition for food be an obstacle, but we all know how aggressive clowns can get. Seahorses are way too fragile. There's no way I'd ever personally try that. It's just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom