Need advice please - New SW tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlloyd018

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my name is Joe, just started a 29 gallon saltwater tank with 40 pounds of live sands and 32 lbs of live rock one week ago, I was wondering when my tank is cycled what should I start as my clean up crew and how many fish would i be able to use. i want to start out with a pair of mated clowns. Thanks Joe

I think Clowns would be okay in your tank. I think the amount of fish you cann keep depends on a few things, their adult size, and their temperament, etc..

As far a CUC goes:

I can't help a lot there, but I do have a tip. ;) If you get any Hermit Crabs, make sure you have some extra shells lying around for them to move into. Otherwise you will probably run into the crabs killing snails and other hermits.

I think Clowns would be okay in your tank. I think the amount of fish you cann keep depends on a few things, their adult size, and their temperament, etc..

As far a CUC goes:

I can't help a lot there, but I do have a tip. ;) If you get any Hermit Crabs, make sure you have some extra shells lying around for them to move into. Otherwise you will probably run into the crabs killing snails and other hermits.

Thanks for the help, Yesterday I bought 14 hermit crabs, I did not know that about the extra shells, very helpful thanks Joe.

Anytime!

If you have any further questions just let me know. :) I may be able to offer my two cents.

Get so sort of sand sifter cause 40lbs of sand in 29 gal seems like a bit much. I put 30lbs of sand in my 28 and it seemed like too much but my gold head goby is doing a fantastic job of sifting the samd

Hi there. I think clowns would be a great start to stocking your tank. :)

I get my cuc from Reef Cleaners| Clean up Crews and Macroalgae and they do a great job and are really cheap. The only thing is i would either pick them yourself or if you get a crew pack get one for half the tanks volume, reefcleaners goes a bit crazy with their clean up crew. Just keep in mind whatever you add has to be fed too. :)

Did you add the hermits to a cycling tank? Might not be the best thing to do as the ammonia swings can kill them. :-(

Welcome to AA!!!!! I dont think CUCs are completely necessary. For the sand I absolutely love nassarius snails. Alot of people with pred tanks dont have CUCs because they will get eaten, but theyre helpful. For algae my personal favs are turbo snails. Get 2. They eat SOOOOO much algae. GL!!!!! Make sure to add the turbos later so they have enough food :).

I downsized my tank when I moved to a 56 gallon . It actually went through a second mini cycle after the original cycle. Before you add anything else I would wait and make sure that you don't have any issues. Sounds like you are off to a good start though!

Back
Top Bottom