Need help with CUC and first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I finally finished the cycle over a week ago in my 70 gal

I have 40 lbs of live sand ,
50-75 lbs of live rock .
And ready to add clean up crew and possibly a few fish .
I was thinking of adding a few clown fish ,
Possibly a yellow tank .
A few hermit crabs .
A few snails or a few cleaner shrimp .
What should I add ?
What should I wait on ?
Would all this be too much of a bio load ?
Thanks for your help ,
I'm open for suggestions

Hi I finally finished the cycle over a week ago in my 70 gal

I have 40 lbs of live sand ,
50-75 lbs of live rock .
And ready to add clean up crew and possibly a few fish .
I was thinking of adding a few clown fish ,
Possibly a yellow tank .
A few hermit crabs .
A few snails or a few cleaner shrimp .
What should I add ?
What should I wait on ?
Would all this be too much of a bio load ?
Thanks for your help ,
I'm open for suggestions

I personally would hold off on the tang and put in TWO clown fish (not 'a few') clowns can be territorial so be careful with that. I would get some CUC and a couple of clowns you like, wait a couple of weeks and then get another fish that is compatible with your tank tank size. Don't add everything all at once.

dont put in too many for your cuc as some of them are meat eaters and need some type of food so i would get certain parts of your clean up crew but i would wait on any meat eaters till you get fish and a established feeding schedule or you will have alot of dead little creatures and you dont want that ime i hope this helps good luck

I personally would hold off on the tang and put in TWO clown fish (not 'a few') clowns can be territorial so be careful with that. I would get some CUC and a couple of clowns you like, wait a couple of weeks and then get another fish that is compatible with your tank tank size. Don't add everything all at once.

The plan was a pair of clown fish ,
What would you suggest for a clean up crew ?

What I did when I got mine was went to reefcleaners.org they have a form you email back to them and they give you recommendations on what to get based off of your set up. I mainly used it as a guide since some stuff seemed like over kill. As you get along with your tank you will be able to adjust to what you need to add and such in the future.

In my 55 I have:

About 10 Astraea snails
I think about 5 ness snails
10 blue leg hermits
A sea serpent
Cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp

I had turbo snails to which are cool but they have all died..

In my 55 I have:

About 10 Astraea snails
10 blue leg hermits
A sea serpent

I have a 70 gal
Did you put all of these in at the start or over time ?
Does a clean up crew add to the bio load ?
I don't have anything in here except bristle worms that were in the rocks .
I still have a raw shrimp in there to maintain a ammonia source until I add fish.
I do have multiple white sponges growing on allot of the rocks .
Ill add a few pictures

In my 55 I have:

About 10 Astraea snails
10 blue leg hermits
A sea serpent

Sponge ?

image-310746710.jpg

Kind of looks like coral skeletons to me.. Could be wrong though.

CUC don't add a lot to the bio load so you can generally add quite a few at a time.. Don't add them if you still have ammonia in the tank, and just make sure you are feeding enough so they don't starve.. With some time you will figure out how to balance things out

Kind of looks like coral skeletons to me.. Could be wrong though.

CUC don't add a lot to the bio load so you can generally add quite a few at a time.. Don't add them if you still have ammonia in the tank, and just make sure you are feeding enough so they don't starve.. With some time you will figure out how to balance things out

Ammonia :0 ppm
Nitrite :0 ppm
Nitrate :20 ppm
PH: 8.5

I would only add about 5-6 snails at the start and add more as your tank gets a little more algae for them to eat. I like banded trochus because they don't fall off the rocks as much as astrea snails. You could also get a few Nassarius snails to keep the sand bed gently stirred.

I would only add about 5-6 snails at the start and add more as your tank gets a little more algae for them to eat. I like banded trochus because they don't fall off the rocks as much as astrea snails. You could also get a few Nassarius snails to keep the sand bed gently stirred.

For a 70 gal I only put 40 lbs of live sand giving a shallow sand bed .
Do I still need something for sand sifting ?

For a 70 gal I only put 40 lbs of live sand giving a shallow sand bed .
Do I still need something for sand sifting ?

In that case, don't get Nassarius because they need to bury in the sand and it probably won't be deep enough. If you notice the sand looking dirty at some point, you might want to consider a conch to help clean it up.

Back
Top Bottom