Need Help with New FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Styrofoam pieces is good. Just take a styro cup and rip it in half. Don't worry though, the rock won't really hurt your glass...

I vote for the rock first from experience. I did it the other way and my convict goby made the rock very unstable and I had to rebuilt it with short pieces of PVC to raise the rock off the bottom to give him room to burrow. If I didn't have him the rock on the bottom would keep the sand from doing bad things like the other posts suggested. I spent lots of time to redo it cause I didn't ask first as you did. Good move!

Rock directly on glass. No worries. Many folks use eggcrate on the bottom and put their rock on that, but that creates a little layer of sand on the bottom that never will move or be stirred by all the little critters that live in your sand bed. Not really something you want.

Welcome to AA.

4) Your LR will be the filtration you need. That and a skimmer with a PH to push the water around will be all you need.

What about mechanical filtration? Don't I need something to keep the water clean and clear?

Thanks
Pat

Pat
This is my thought process, not everyone sees things the same way I do and I would never discredit anyone's point of view. In the end you have to choose a path from the knowledge you have acquired and go for it.
For me, a filter system is always a good idea on a FOWLR, a requirement in my book. Without one you will be vacuuming and doing water changes often depending on the fish you keep. I have a Dog Faced Puffer that makes a complete mess at feeding time. My CUC is very good but they can't get every piece, that's where the filter comes into play. Fish pee and that is taken care of naturally by the LR, provided you have enough for the number and size of the fish you have. They also poop, that takes longer to process. A CUC will help here but depending on your bioload (# of fish and the size)they may not be able to keep up. If you get too big of a CUC they will not have enough to eat, which means you will have to put more food in the tank just for them or they will die. Kinda defeats the purpose of a CUC.
You also mentioned a skimmer. If you have ever seen the product it produces you will not need to ask. I don't know how a FOWLR without one stays alive. The amount of stuff in the cup is amazing and smells gross.

Canister filters from what I have read do a good job of removing the big stuff but if not cared for can cause other problems like high nitrates. My LFS, which I don't shop at anymore neglects their filters and it shows. The bad part is they keep them at the end of the isle in the open for anyone to look at. I have never used one as I got a sump at the beginning. Others can add more to this.. Please?

This hobby is expensive to start off correctly and for me, it never gets cheaper. Plan your purchases carefully so you don't have to buy something later to replace an item you thought would get you by.

Ask questions here and remember that not all LFS's have your best interest in sight. Some are great and some will sell you things you don't need just to make a sale. Find a good one and visit them often.
One last thing, we all love pictures.... It helps to see whats happening when answering questions.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

Thanks for your response. Would a HOT Protein Skimmer provide enough mechanical filtration or do I need a filter with a pad of some sort? I was looking at the Bak Pak 2 but I was not sure if that would take care of the loose particulate matter. I also saw the "Skilter" but that seems to have poor reviews.

Also, with 40 pounds of LR in a 36g tank, do I want to avoid additional bio filtration in a filter? That is what I think I am hearing (to avoid maybe over bio filtration?) So that would mean for example in the Bak Pak 2 I would want to buy the version without the "bio bale media." I do not plan to overload the tank with fish and I may add some coral down the road but I don't see myself filling the tank up with coral. I will mainly keep fish.

Thanks again,
Pat

Thanks all for your input on my rock and sand. I have started setting up this tank and I now have a question on the waterflow / current in the tank.

I originally ordered two Koralia 750s and after putting one in the tank, I am thinking this may be too much flow for this tank. I will also have an Aquaclear HOB power filter. If I keep the 750, I am thinking I would just need one but I am also considering replacing the two 750s with two of the nano versions. They are 2" smaller and the flow is 425 gph. And I like the idea of taking up less room in the tank. My question is whether or not two power heads are better than one?
cool.gif
Or maybe you would say that two 750s is not too much flow for a 36 gallon tank? I am new at this so I am not sure.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Pat

From what I was told and by reading, I came to the conclusion that the more flow the better. Especially if you plan to have coral down the road. I think I remember that it should be about 14x your volume for rollover at a minimum. So I think that would be a good answer, but keep doing research also.

Sean

20x turnover even is fine, preferred for reefs. Your fish will be fine. Point them at each other to create random flow around the tank.

20x turnover even is fine, preferred for reefs. Your fish will be fine. Point them at each other to create random flow around the tank.

Thanks Jim. So let me make sure I understand this. 20 x 36 gallons = 720. Does this mean I should have 720 gph flow from my power head(s)? If so, the two heads I purchased are each 750 gph so I think I should either keep only one of those or the other option is to replace them both with the two 425s since it sounds like two heads creates better movement in the water. And the two lower flow heads are smaller. What is your suggestion?

Thanks again!

20x total, so (sump return)+(powerheads)=x(tank volume) x being your targeted turnover rate. You might want to downsize those by a bit then.

Back
Top Bottom