need help with nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
im running a 55 gal with 20 gal sump/fuge and cant get the nitrates to go down. im doing 10 gal water changes every other day to try and fight it but am not seeing it go down. i have 3 nems, 4 fish and just started keeping corals in the tank,should i do a bigger wc? as it is 10 gallons gets kinda close to half of the tank. or is ther something i can add to the water or run in the sump that will bring nitrate down? or should i just go for it and do like a 30 gal wc?

my readings today=
sg=1.025
ph=8.2
ammo=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=80

so how big of a wc can i do?
and how long should i wait in between doing them?

I would do a 30% water change it the nitrates are that high... N u must find the cause of problem... I heard anemones discard waste for like three fish... N u say u have four aneno plus other corals n additional fishes.. I would say you have overstocked your 50g tank

But what type of filtration do u have?

Maybe u are over feeding?

Have u tested for phosphate?

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

i don't think the anemones will produce that kind of waste unless you are feeding them.
what else is going on?
what are you feeding, and how often/much?
how are you exporting nutrients besides water changes?
any filter media, or components that can harbor detritus anywhere?
how about the rock, are you blowing it off with a power head before water changes?
sand bed?

no filter media . im skimming in the first chamber of sump and have tons on macro algae in the fuge. i feed the nems once a month if i remember. and for feeding the fish its only every other day if i remember. how else should i export nutriants? oh i do use a filter sock but it get clogged i a few days and i have to clean it out.

well, you have to find the source of the nitrates. could it be your source water?
meanwhile you could use vodka to bring the nitrates to an undetectable level.

Back
Top Bottom