need of maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eb0002

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 180 gallon fish only tank. Has been up for 15 yrs now. I have been somewhat negligent in my maintenance as it has been very stable. I have a large spiny puffer (8"), a cubicus boxfish who is blind from popeye (8"), a tomato clown (very aggressive), a blue tang who is at least 16yrs old and a naso tang so total of 6 fish. I have a wet dry filter and have honestly never cleaned the bioballs. The do have a moderate amount of brownish goo on them and I am not sure how to clean them. If I clean them all at once I am worried I could lose my biological filter. I do have a good protein skimmer also. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

How much live rock do you have in the tank?
If you are going to clean the bio balls, I would do so in your old tank water and not fresh, chlorinated, water.

I have quite a lot of live rock, not sure how much in pounds but it covers about 1/2 of the back wall of the tank, (tank is 6 foot long). Yes I thought about cleaning them in the old tank water rather than fresh water. I assume the fresh water would kill any bacteria on bioballs

Probably. If you have enough live rock, you won't even need the bio balls. You can safely clean them.

Back
Top Bottom