need some advice on a qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flsprophet2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to need to set a qt for my fish. I know I should of had one already but money has been a problem. I now have the funds and had some ?'s. What size qt do you think would be appropriate for my fish. I have 4 of them (see signature for fish) Would they all be okay in a 10 gallon tank for 6 weeks if they had to all be put in there for treatment?
Also for the setup of my qt what do I really need in there? I was thinking no substrate, some base rock for hiding, a heater, and maybe a HOB. Does this sound right?

Thanks for any and all advice given. :D

10 gal would be a nightmare for 4 fish. It will be difficult to keep water perameters decent. The fish would be severely stressed out in such cramped quarters and if you have to medicate them (which is very stressful), it could lead to problems. I think you should at least go with a 20 gal qt. I went with a 30 gal for my qt because I had enough room for it. 20 gal tanks are not much more expensive than 10 gal taks and it would offer you greater flexibility and will require less maintenance.

I agree with chill. I have a 10 gal for TWO fish, and they seem a bit cramped to me, too. Adding two fish at a time means it'll be June before I add my final fish to my tank.

In the meantime, I need to find another way to spend my money .....

Setup sounds good, except you can add some pvc elbows for the fish to hide instead of the rock. If you ever need to use meds, anything porous is undesirable. Here is one of my qt setups.

Attachments

• 10gallonqt0001_200.jpg
    10gallonqt0001_200.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 60
Well I tried posting earlier, but I guess it didn't make it.

I use a 29g for my QT tank. Took some pcv elbows and put them in there for the fish to hide in. Don't use any substrate since it will absorb the medications.

I took a Pengiun 125 filter and removed the filter media and replaced with some cotton. Carbon will absorb a lot of medications.

Put in a powerhead to help circulate and airiate the water.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom