Need some guiadance.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasoncwrd2002

Aquarium Advice Freak
So had a dead fish today and checking parameters. Here's what I got.

Ph- 7.8 (needs to be higher i know.)
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-I'm gonna go with 40ppm on this one. And I'm sure this is what has caused the fish to die. Gonna do water change in like a hr after I go get some

What would cause this? My tanks been up for well over a month now. .

How large of a tank? What kind of fish? What kind of filtration? How did you cycle the tank?

55 Gallon
40 pounds of aggregate sand
20 pounds of live rock
For sure 3 Turbo snails
Couple of other snails that hitchhiked with the live rock
5 Yellow tail damsels (for cycling)

I take it your tanks a FOWLR

your ph is low yes
nitrates are a little high most likely from over feeding
a good water change will help bring them down

And need to edit it more. Yellowtails are gone. Probably over 20 snails 2 clowns a goby and a wrasse which I haven't seen in awhile and can't seem to find.

No filtration? Nothing to remove nitrates?

Water changes won't remove nitrates. Theres no magical way to do a 20% WC and get 100% nitrates out. After a WC like that you will still have your nitrates at [math don't fail me now ] 80% of where they were.

And it wasn't looking ill? Behaving strangely? How did you cycle your tank? If its been in there three weeks and your tanks only been up a little over a month?

And it wasn't looking ill? Behaving strangely? How did you cycle your tank? If its been in there three weeks and your tanks only been up a little over a month?

Nope wasn't looking ill. I was gone for about 4 days then came back Friday night. Didn't really pay attention Friday was feed the fish feed me and goto sleep. Sat looked fine. Yesterday I noticed shrimp like hanging off it and it was swimming near the top. Then today laying in a corner not moving with shrimp crawling all over it. Not sure of exactly when I started tank but I know it was up for a month and a half before I added flame angel. Did a fish in cycle with the yellow tails.

I definitely wouldn't sell everything, it can be frustrating and expensive sure but worth it in the end. I would add more live rock in a tank that size to help with filtration. I have 32lbs in mg 20 gallon nano reef tank. Also lots of research, never hurts

I definitely wouldn't sell everything, it can be frustrating and expensive sure but worth it in the end. I would add more live rock in a tank that size to help with filtration. I have 32lbs in mg 20 gallon nano reef tank. Also lots of research, never hurts

Should I change the water out or just do water changes an continue to test

What kind of water are you using? What are you testing for? It's good practice to test regularly and keep a logbook of your results. That way you can see any swings in parameters. I agree with adding more rock, try and aim for around 50-60 pounds. If you no longer have any livestock now is a good time to add the rock and in a way, start a new...

What kind of water are you using? What are you testing for? It's good practice to test regularly and keep a logbook of your results. That way you can see any swings in parameters. I agree with adding more rock, try and aim for around 50-60 pounds. If you no longer have any livestock now is a good time to add the rock and in a way, start a new...

I agree here, if you no longer have live stock. Try cycling with out fish. I let my tank cycle for 2 months before adding anything. Tanks been stocked for about a month and a half with no big issues besides a little brown algae, which it went away recently

Maybe invest in some power heads for circulatio, do a good water change and see what your levels are after testing. I'm only 4 months into my first salt tank but ill help where I can. I usually prowl this site an hour or two a day lol, and for a few months before I started my tank.

Back
Top Bottom