New 55 gallon saltwater fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mve1004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to saltwater but am finding out quickly that this is way different than fresh water. My question is should I do partial water changes during my cycle of this new tank? There is 75 lbs of live sand and 60 lbs of live rock in there . No thoughts yet on fish for at least 6 weeks. Also suggestions on live stock would be great!

Nope, no water changes... Just let er rip! I just cycled a 55 starting June 13th... Already have 4 fish in there and my water is good except for a small phosphate spike.

2 mocha clowns, algae blenny, clown goby, and a tiger goby... Assorted snails, hermits, and a sea urchin. Just keep checking ur water... I did every day for 3 weeks...

Benamayer said:
2 mocha clowns, algae blenny, clown goby, and a tiger goby... Assorted snails, hermits, and a sea urchin. Just keep checking ur water... I did every day for 3 weeks...

If i can count correctly looks like you have 5 fish, not 4 :) lol

Benamayer said:

How much water do you change and how often? Sounds like the way I might go with fish.

mve1004 said:
How much water do you change and how often? Sounds like the way I might go with fish.

Well after its cycled, I change 5 gallons a week, an usually have to top off about a gallon every other day... Make sure when you top off evaporated water, it's fresh water and not salt. But use salt water when you actually do a change.

Hey, just because i have an identical twin brother does that mean we are only one person?!? Lol :) mocha clowns are beast though!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hey, just because i have an identical twin brother does that mean we are only one person?!? Lol :) mocha clowns are beast though!

Touché! Ok ok 5 fish!

Benamayer said:
Well after its cycled, I change 5 gallons a week, an usually have to top off about a gallon every other day... Make sure when you top off evaporated water, it's fresh water and not salt. But use salt water when you actually do a change.

Thanks good to know

Well if u top off with salt water, it will raise the salinity, because as water evaporates, the salt stays. Which is why top offs are important to not stress the fish out from drastic changes... You can PM me whenever, I JUST cycled and remember it clearly!

Benamayer said:
Well if u top off with salt water, it will raise the salinity, because as water evaporates, the salt stays. Which is why top offs are important to not stress the fish out from drastic changes... You can PM me whenever, I JUST cycled and remember it clearly!

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom