New 60G Fowlr setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreezeFins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started a new 60G Fowlr. Currently we have 40lbs of livesand mixed with 30 lbs of argonite sand, and about 12 lbs of liverock. The tank has been up and running for 1 week. I have not seen any elevation of ammonia. How long until I should start seeing elevated ammonia levels?

With the amount of live rock youmay not see a spike. You can add a dead raw shrimp to decompose or even use pure ammonia. You want at least 2ppm of ammonia and as high as 4ppm. From there it's just a matter of waiting it out.

Can I use any raw shrimp from the grocery store? What about ammonia, is that available at most aquarium stores?

The raw shrimp method uses a regular shrimp from the seafood department. If you do that place it in a pantyhose foot or something so when it decomposes you can remove it easily. Also you don't have as much control over the ammonia levels.

I've used the pure ammonia method myself. I got it from ace hardware as you cannot use ammonia with any other additives in it.

here's a quick article to check out

Cycle your salt tank

Back
Top Bottom