New addition: Long Tentacle Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyQuorra

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a Long Tentacle Anemone from my LFS today at around 1pm. He seemed very happy at the store and was hosting a clown, so I bought him to put into my 30g FOWLR.

I placed his foot into a rock crevis but he slowly floated to the bottom at the end of the tank. I target fed it mysis shrimp 4 hours ago and seemed to take it.

He has yet to attach himself to anything. He is just sitting on top of the sand bed. Should I be worried?

Does any1 else have any similar experience with this anemone's acclimation? Is there anything I can do?

It will float around until it finds a spot it likes. My first Anemone liked my biggest rock on the back down inside. If you have a overflow or power heads it may get sucked into them. Anemone's need a mature (1 year) system and most need to have high lighting. Good luck!

All I have flow wise is a hob filter. Yeah my tank has been established for 2+ years but it's only been in my care for the past 2-3 months. On LiveAquaria it says it requires moderate lighting (2-4 watts per gallon). Right now the tank has an efficient florescent tube light which has an equivalent output of 75 watts (idk what that means really).

I'd say the bulb is about a year old. I'm not sure what type of bulb it is other then what a described in the previous post.

Slightly annoyed with the LFS cause I specifically asked if the anemone had any special lighting or flow requirements and they said no :/ But sadly I couldn't pass up the deal (Got him for $11) so I bought him w/o fully researching it and decided to trust the LFS.

Update & Pictures

I returned to my LFS today to tell them my worries about the anemone (the fact that it hadn't moved nor attached it's foot anywhere ) they told me not to worry to just put him into a rock crevis w/o the filter on and give him 30 minutes to settle. I also mentioned I only had regular florescent tube light on my tank and if that was enough for the anemone, he said it would be fine.

So when I get home I picked him up from where he had fallen initially (Yellow Arrow) and placed him back where I had placed him the very 1st time (Red Arrow) this time leaving the filter off for 30 min.

After the whole process I went out for 3-4 hours and when I got home he was at the peak of my rock-scape.

I read online that LTA naturally bury/anchor their foot in the sand though I have seen pictures and YouTube videos where they are anchored in a rock crevis.

Why is he on the tipy top like that, so close to the surface, seems dangerous to me.

Below are some pictures.

Any advice would be helpful so I can better understand my anemone and keep it happy. Tyvm :)

Attachments

• Anemone Position.jpg
    Anemone Position.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Anemone Mouth (640x480).jpg
    Anemone Mouth (640x480).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 149
They will go wherever they like it I would say now that he isn't floating around anymore just leave him be. If you like where he is target feed him a small variety of food each day so he thinks he has a great spot. Next get a powerhead you need that flow.

I don't know if I like where he is. Once the LTA gets big enough I would like it to host my clown, It never swims at that altitude (SO close to the surface).

I've always been confused about powerheads/circulation pumps (are they the same thing) and what the gph's mean, how much i need. Will have research and see if I can maybe find one on craigslist or something not too expensive.

Also I was thinking, right now the tank has been sitting on low end temp (70-72 F), maybe he went up that high cause it's warmer? maybe I should get a tank heater... idk.

You can get decent powerheads on eBay I got a two pack for 40 bucks and they are great. Get the ones that mount with magnets not suction cups. And I would definitely get a heater nems are very sensitive to temp.

I'm thinking its that high to get closer to the light. I wouldn't bother it. There's no guarantee that your clown will host it no matter where it is. Better to just let it be where it's happy and if the clown finds it, it does. If not, at least you have a happy nem. My nem has been in my tank for months and my clown doesn't even look at it, and the clown sleeps 4" from the nem. Just cuz you have a nem doesn't mean they'll pair up, unfortunately. BTW, that's a nice looking nem, and a great deal at $11!! :)

Thank you! I was just worried since this particular species usually anchors through the sand (according to LiveAquaria) so it just seemed strange, and I worry ALOT lol

as far as the power heads go, I would take jocobs advice and get them off e-bay. I bought 2 circulation pumps from petco about $30 ea/ it's rated for 30g tanks and mine is a 55. I believe this is sufficient only because it still moves the water around and doesnt blow sand & debri everywhere.

I know this sounds silly but if you want to help your clown host your nem i've heard people tape pictures of a clown hosting a nem and tape it to your tank this way the clown see's this. Many people from what i have read it seemed to work, but again no guarantee. A lot of clowns are farm-raised not pulled out of the wild so they don't know what to do.

I would look in to upgrading the lighting system and buy a submersible heater that you can dial up and down. I keep my tank between 76-78*

Thanks for your input TommyP.

Yeah I looked on ebay and they were same price if not cheaper on amazon.

I found an aquarist selling quite a bit of stuff on craigslist cause he took down 3/9 of his tanks. So hopefully I get what I need for cheap.

Yeah I've heard that too. I've read it works even better with video (Like putting up your laptop screen). But right now the anemone is not even two times the size of the clown and the anemone would need to be moved down in the tank. But I'm going to leave him in his happy spot for now until I get the equipment I need.

QUESTION 1: Right now my light is on timer w/ only 8hrs on. Should I make it longer?

QUESTION 2: Any advice on lighting? a bulb that I could use with my existing fixture (Holds only 1 bulb) would be great. The bulb I have is T8 size but I don't know if its NO or HO. Though I have discovered it's a grow light (promotes photosynthesis)

Thanks for your input TommyP.

Yeah I looked on ebay and they were same price if not cheaper on amazon.

I found an aquarist selling quite a bit of stuff on craigslist cause he took down 3/9 of his tanks. So hopefully I get what I need for cheap.

Yeah I've heard that too. I've read it works even better with video (Like putting up your laptop screen). But right now the anemone is not even two times the size of the clown and the anemone would need to be moved down in the tank. But I'm going to leave him in his happy spot for now until I get the equipment I need.

QUESTION 1: Right now my light is on timer w/ only 8hrs on. Should I make it longer?

QUESTION 2: Any advice on lighting? a bulb that I could use with my existing fixture (Holds only 1 bulb) would be great. The bulb I have is T8 size but I don't know if its NO or HO. Though I have discovered it's a grow light (promotes photosynthesis)

I think 8 hours are good. I've read some people doing 10. I have a power strip timer 4 of them are timed and 4 of them are constant! I cant figure this thing out lol so I do it manually.

I beleive to my knowledge a nem would need more light than what your providing, even if you replace the bulb. If you invest in a good lighting system you can have more corals and it would provide a better environment for your nem. I bought my kit off e-bay. It was $102 shipped its 4 bulb t5 HO with 8 LEDS. no name brand, but works great so far.

Yeah I can't afford a whole 'nother light fixture atm. Maybe I'll switch the timer to 10hours on and try to feed the LTA daily to keep it nourished until I save up enough for a light fixture.

Though I will try to get a heater and circulation pump ASAP

Update & Pictures

So I've extended the light to 10 hours and have been feeding my LTA a 1/4 cube of thawed Mysis everyday. Also the weather has been warmer so my tank has been at 78 for the past two days which I'm sure the LTA prefers :)

Two days ago I decided to move the rock he was on to a slightly lower location.

Here's some pics of him from the past two days. Don't pay any attention to my algae problem :lol: the tank will be getting a good cleaning and large PWC after finals are over.

Still working on getting better equipment (Lights, heater, and power head) for my tank to make it more suitable for my LTA and maybe corals? :whistle:

Still debating whether to upgrade it to completely reef capable since I have a CC star and they are known for eating corals. (though I've read enough exceptions to entertain the thought of getting corals in)

Attachments

• Anemone (480x640).jpg
    Anemone (480x640).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Anemone 12-9-12 (480x640).jpg
    Anemone 12-9-12 (480x640).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Anemone 12-9-12 (2) (502x640).jpg
    Anemone 12-9-12 (2) (502x640).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80
So I've extended the light to 10 hours and have been feeding my LTA a 1/4 cube of thawed Mysis everyday. Also the weather has been warmer so my tank has been at 78 for the past two days which I'm sure the LTA prefers :)

Two days ago I decided to move the rock he was on to a slightly lower location.

Here's some pics of him from the past two days. Don't pay any attention to my algae problem :lol: the tank will be getting a good cleaning and large PWC after finals are over.

Still working on getting better equipment (Lights, heater, and power head) for my tank to make it more suitable for my LTA and maybe corals? :whistle:

Still debating whether to upgrade it to completely reef capable since I have a CC star and they are known for eating corals. (though I've read enough exceptions to entertain the thought of getting corals in)

Well, the foot is still red and the tentacles are tan, so it seems to be holding in there!! :)

Yeah, no signs of any discoloration. Though a couple times, when he expelled all his water and was SUPER tiny I caught my shrimp pulling at his tentacles. Had to shoo him away. Luckily when the anemone is all full the shrimp doesn't really bother it.

Back
Top Bottom