New flame angel being a bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is similar to aggression with certain cichlids. Once the butterflyfish gets bigger, he might be able to fight back.

He is able to fight back pretty well for his size right now. He just has to show his muscles (dorsal spines lol) and the angel backs off.

Hopefully she'll get better in time. It's not life threatening right now, she doesn't bite too much, just chases.

my clowns do that to my flame angel and coral beauty there always chasing one another until the 2 angels turn around and double team thats the only way they can intimidate the clown to stop as he is like 2x the size of them

yeah I'm sure a little aggression is something that I'll always have to deal with. It seems like she's calmed down today, there are times where the angel and butterfly look like best buds and swim right next to each other, and other times where she's had enough of the butterfly.

She's definitely more aggressive just after feeding, and she will usually go after the butterfly if he's chasing his reflection. I think she mistakes his aggression towards his reflection, and thinks he's going after her.

Either way it's a little better today :) hopefully she'll calm down further

Edit: just noticed the butterfly now has an opaque section on his tail, probably from the nipping :/

How much time should I give the angel to calm down before I decide to either get rid of her, or move her?

I think that it needs to go if it is doing damage to other fish. Most big aggression issues I've seen are resolved within a week. The occasional chase or nip is probably just part of socializing, but doing damage is not okay in my tanks. Odds are it could do the same to future additions, because it sees the tank as it's territory.

She keeps her aggression towards the butterfly pretty much. He only has a piece of his fin missing from a couple days ago. No more damage so far. She's only chased the clown once, there's no damage on Anyone else.

It'd be easier to just get rid of her, I really hope I can catch her. Anyone have any tricks so I don't have to take all the rock out?

well I got her caught and she's about ready to hit the road to a new home. Thanks for your help guys. It was a beautiful fish, a shame she didn't fit in.

I'm considering another flame angel In the next few months. Do you think a little one would be less aggressive? I think the angel had a problem with the butterfly because they have the same body shape. I'm thinking if I get one smaller than the butterfly, I should be good.

I think it is just the luck of the draw. Some people have stories where their Angels are model citizens (even in reef tanks) and others have horror stories. I've seen both in my experience, but most of the time, mine have been more peaceful than aggressive. Smaller might help, but it's no guarantee.

if you start with a big one yes it's going to show aggression
I started off with one about 3/4 to 1 inch the other fish kept him in line and he will learn to get along or get picked on
he now is almost 2 1/2 to 3 inch now and he gets along with everyone even my clown who usually thinks he owns the place ,the flame and coral beauty swim side by side and love to play in the currents they never touch any coral they are the show offs of my tank

I tried the mirror thing before I kicked her out, and it just scared the heck out of everyone, they were hiding the entire time the mirror was in the tank.

Too bad I bought a larger angel, maybe sometime in the future I'll get another. Thanks for all your help, guys, I really appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom