New FOWLR Tank Size Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's what I'm looking to start up for a FOWLR tank:
False Clown
Yellowtail Damsel
Dottyback

I have a spare 20 gallon tank (with filters, heaters, etc) that could be used. I'm thinking that 2 of each of the above would max out the tank. I have plenty of filtration available (up to 350GPH).

Would a 20 gallon suffice? I'm not against getting a 55 or 60 gallon (I already have a 56G freshwater tank), but as this is my first venture into marine tanks, I didn't know if starting out smaller is better...

I'm not sure you could do those 6 fish in a 20. Damsels are highly territorial.

In saltwater, bigger is better. I would honestly go with the biggest tank you can keep etc

I'm not sure you could do those 6 fish in a 20. Damsels are highly territorial.

In saltwater, bigger is better. I would honestly go with the biggest tank you can keep etc

I'm not 100% sold on the damsels yet. I was going to put them in for some color (which the dotty's will give more than enough of), and I've been told the yellowtails aren't as territorial as other damsels, though I guess when in a small enough volume, genetics takes over :)

Why not replace the damsels with some small nano gobies?

Funny you should mention that, I just saw some of those at liveaquaria.com, very pretty fish. I will check my LFS to see if they have/can order some for me.

The clown gobies are super cute. Also, you could look into inverts. There are a lot of shrimp out there that are very bright and colorful. Fire shrimp are a vibrant red. Skunk cleaner shrimp are red and white. Peppermint shrimp are cute.

The clown gobies are super cute. Also, you could look into inverts. There are a lot of shrimp out there that are very bright and colorful. Fire shrimp are a vibrant red. Skunk cleaner shrimp are red and white. Peppermint shrimp are cute.

The red-striped and Catalina gobies are nice looking, too...

Once I get used to the marine routine (which I can't imagine being too different from the freshwater routine), I will start w/ inverts...

dmolavi said:
The red-striped and Catalina gobies are nice looking, too...

Once I get used to the marine routine (which I can't imagine being too different from the freshwater routine), I will start w/ inverts...

Make sure you really research the Catalina gobies. I have read they like cooler water.

Hi

If you're going to use the 20gal here's what i would recommend:
2x firefish (purple or regular)
a pair of occelaris clowns. DO NOT buy the bonded pair bullcrap. TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, if you buy 2 occelaris clowns they will eventually become a pair as they are hermaphrodites.
1x Hi fin banded goby.

that stocking would give you some nice colour and a low biological stress on your filtration.

But as previously stated "in saltwater the bigger the better" If you are interested in getting a bigger tank, here is a few stocking lists for some regular choices of tank sizes.

55gal:

2x maroon clowns
1x dwarf lion
1x flame angel or any other dwarf angel to your liking

or a more peaceful

5x reef chromis
2x firefish
3x green clown gobies

75gal:

1x snowflake eel
1x pinkface wrasse
1x foxface
2x dwarf lions or 1x radiata or russels lion
1x picasso trigger (PLEASE introduce last as triggers are agressive to newcomers on some occasions, or on others can be happy additions to a tank. If I were you I wouldn't take any chances)

or another peaceful

1x kole eye yellow tang
1x fairy or flasher wrasse
4x reef chromis
1x dwarf angel
3x firefish
a pair of occelaris or clarkii clowns

hope I helped and gave you some ideas, let me know if you decide to up your tank size or keep it the same. Also be sure to keep us postewd on future progress:)

:thanks:

chris1610 said:
75gal:

2x dwarf lions or 1x radiata or russels lion
1x picasso trigger

:thanks:

Radiatas- 7-9" long. Would prob do ok in a 75 (better in 125+)
Russells- 10-12" in captivity if caught young. A 75 is way too small for this one. Youre talking about a 1 foot fish in a 4 ft tank, not to mention the sheer size he will inflate to width wise. 125 is a bare minimum to safely and comfortably house these.
Picasso (humu-humu)- def a very vibrant and colorful fish but they have been known to go postal and kill everything. They are also extremely active swimmers. Something to take into consideration. Watch their size as well.

Sure you could technically do any of these fish and they prob will survive but 1) they quickly max out your stock list for a 75.2) prob wont look proportionate to their tank once adult sized. 3) very well could cause stress-induced anger issues.
Id recommend either a fuzzy dwarf or possibly(possibly) a radiata. 5-9 inches for them, not near the monster size of the russells.
As for a trigger (if you wanna go that route) id look at the blue jaw or assassi. The picasso can be quite bullish, and the others get way too big. Oh and if you want corals, that eliminates the majority of triggers. Obviously you should pick whatever fish make you happy, but i would hate to see you use up stocklist on oversized fish

Radiatas- 7-9" long. Would prob do ok in a 75 (better in 125+)
Russells- 10-12" in captivity if caught young. A 75 is way too small for this one. Youre talking about a 1 foot fish in a 4 ft tank, not to mention the sheer size he will inflate to width wise. 125 is a bare minimum to safely and comfortably house these.
Picasso (humu-humu)- def a very vibrant and colorful fish but they have been known to go postal and kill everything. They are also extremely active swimmers. Something to take into consideration. Watch their size as well.

Sure you could technically do any of these fish and they prob will survive but 1) they quickly max out your stock list for a 75.2) prob wont look proportionate to their tank once adult sized. 3) very well could cause stress-induced anger issues.
Id recommend either a fuzzy dwarf or possibly(possibly) a radiata. 5-9 inches for them, not near the monster size of the russells.
As for a trigger (if you wanna go that route) id look at the blue jaw or assassi. The picasso can be quite bullish, and the others get way too big. Oh and if you want corals, that eliminates the majority of triggers. Obviously you should pick whatever fish make you happy, but i would hate to see you use up stocklist on oversized fish

Honestly, I agree with you on the russel's lion, I thought that should be in a bigger tank than a 75, LiveAquaria obviously thinks differently. The Picasso have been know to go ballistic and kill those who oppose it, but sometimes they are also reported as a happy addition to a tank. (kinda taking a chance on that one I guess) Thanks for sharing that info, as I just realized that it is 100% true.

Speaking of lions, I just went to the aquarium in the city and I spotted a HUGE volitans lion, at least 20". I never thought they actually could get that big. Keep in mind that it was in around a 500,000litre tank.

Yeah if you are new to saltwater then I would highly recommend a bigger tank than a small tank cause bigger tanks need lesser maintenance than small tanks and smaller tanks are usually for more advance hobbyist

Yeah if your a new to saltwater then I would highly recommend a bigger tank than a small tank cause bigger tanks need lesser maintenance than small tanks and smaller tanks are usually for more advance hobbyist

agreed.

I'm a beginner. I have a 5 gal pico reef. I think it depends on the commitment of the person who is wanting the tank. If you are committed to keeping it maintained I don't see the problem. Do your pwc once a week and make sure you do your top offs everyday. Don't overstock with fish. Yes, I think things have the potential to go wrong faster in a small tank, but it is not impossible to start with a small tank.

Bearchumjs said:
I'm a beginner. I have a 5 gal pico reef. I think it depends on the commitment of the person who is wanting the tank. If you are committed to keeping it maintained I don't see the problem. Do your pwc once a week and make sure you do your top offs everyday. Don't overstock with fish. Yes, I think things have the potential to go wrong faster in a small tank, but it is not impossible to start with a small tank.

I already do PWC weekly in my freshwater tank, so I'm cool with that. I will prob start with the 20 and a pair of clowns, maybe a shrimp or two and see how it goes. As long as the WAF (wife acceptance factor) remains high, I could see increasing to 60 in 6 months or so, driven primarily by how fast I get off my butt and clear out the area I want.

Thanks for all the info, advice and feedback from everyone.

Back
Top Bottom