New FOWLR Tank; Some Setup Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I decided to take the plunge into saltwater. I picked up a 38 Gal tank kit. I'm filling it with deionized water. I have 20 lbs of aragonite substrate, plus 20 pounds of aragonite live sand.

So far, I added the "dead" aragonite, and I'm in the process of filling up the tank (it takes trips back and forth to my DI-water source).

Once it's filled up, I plan on adding Instant Ocean as well as turning on the electronics (HOB filter and heater) and stabilize the specific gravity/salinity and temperature. Then I'll add the live sand as well as order a live rock (maybe 20 lbs?). Finally, after that is fully cycled (should I add some ammonia to help?), I'll add a fish.

My question: If I'm using deionized water, do I still need to treat it with a conditioner?

Eventually, I will be upgrading to a canister filter. Hopefully my HOB filter will be ok until then. I also plan on getting a skimmer when I add some livestock down the road.

Is a powerhead recommended for circulation? Maybe a 500 gal/hour one?

Thanks!

:thanks:

Well, first of all an hob filter is not gonna do you much good at all really, use the hob but with a protein skimmer as well, the 38 gallon is a decent size for a nano fowlr tank, but also isn't small enough to not need a skimmer. As for sand, you sound pretty good in that area... As for live rock, you can buy live rock (gets expensive, I bought all mine live) or you can buy base rock. What I did in my 20 gallon was I used a bunch of leftover pool filter sand from my 55 gallon, added 21 pounds of live rock, then put a bottle of bio-spira bacteria supplement and it was ready for fish in a week. I don't have a skimmer, as my tank is half the size of yours and I do 20% water changes every week now. I also run a 370 gph canister and a uv sterilizer, and a 500 gph powerhead and my little system works put perfect, hope yours does the same ?:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Another answer to your question, when cycling, you can basically *** tap water, the water itself will sort itself out over time and w/o livestock present there won't be any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom