New green mandrain not eating help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/

Just got a new green mandrain on Saturday and I feed the tank tonight brine shrimp but I watched and he didn't eat, he looks good but don't know why he won't eat. Please help...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a mandarin that's why it won't eat. These guys rarely eating anything but pods. What size tank is it? If you don't get him eating frozen eventually you will need to keep buying copepods for him to eat

Did the fish store even mention that the mandarin will only eat pods? Do you have a refugium?

No they said he will eat brine shrimp but I guess I will order pods tonight and get it here quickly

Read up on pods. Yes you can buy them and keep it fed for a while but at some point your gonna have to be able to sustain them in your tank.

Add to the tank at night when fish are asleep so they can breed correct?

Honestly I'm not sure. I started researching them and decided not to get one. I know you need a protected place in the tank for them to breed. A refugium is perfect. A pile of rocks sitting just right could work from what I've read.

If he isnt eating now i would suggest bringing him back to the store. it can take a mandarin a few months to starve to death but its a cruel way to go.

How large is the tank? You might try some live brine shrimp but if he isnt eating that odds are he is looking for pods.

Got him on Saturday afternoon, fed the tank tonight (Monday evening). Will try to get him food (copepods) tomorrow or Wednesday. I hope he can wait that long. 55gal tank

Mandrians are difficult to care for. Your tank would need to be established for about a year before even putting a Mandrian into a tank with enough rock and sand to keep a population of Pods. Even with a healthy population of pods at first, one mandrian can wipe them out. That is why a lot of people maintain pods in a refugium under their tanks. That way they have a place to breed and grow without being eating right away so you can always have a stock of pods for your Mandrian.

Right now you can keep buying them to feed your guy, but that can get expensive. You can do a HOB refugium to help maintain a population. IF you want to keep this guy, I would buy that for now (unless you have a sump with a refugium in it already), and keep buying pods once a week.

Reef Octopus HOB Refugium - CoralVue Current News

Live Tigger-Pods, Live Food for Aquarium Fish for Sale Online | PetSolutions

Buying Pods is going to get expensive, so I would suggest you get the HOB refugium, and some small chunks of live rock to fit into it to give your pods a place to grow and breed. I am unsure if it would need a light, but you will need to keep it warm, which I am sure your tank heater will do already.

I would get the refuigem and add a bottle of pods each week for about a month or so. Remember, your guy is eating them already, so you will need to keep supplying until you see a lot in your refuigem. That is why a lot of people do it before putting a Mandrain in. If your handy, you can build your own refuigem, their really not that hard and it would save you $100 or so. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom