New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cofano32

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone my names Joel im new to this site, Im located in Northeast,PA and currently i have a freshwater tank i also will be setting up my FOWLR tank (55 gallon) soon and im gonna need some help and maybe a few suggestions i've been researching for about 2 months and now i think im ready to begin my project and get rid of the freshwater tank to make a QT tank for my saltwater fish. well im open to all suggestions so start them up. Thanks everyone.:)

Welcome to the site!

Go to the article section of this site and read up. There are articles detailing equipment as well as how to properly cycle your tank.

Any questions you have feel free to ask, we have a lot of very knowledgeable folks on the site!

East stroudsburg here... And i have read up on everything about cycling filters protein skimmers LR im not going to use LS i plan on using dry aragonite sand. but with my LR i plan on using azbout 70 pounds of base rock and 10 pounds of fiji live rock from live aquaria to see my base rock. I do have some questions on power heads also with some critters to keep my alagea in tract since i cannot use any type of shrimp or crab due to my fish of choice.

Hydor Korallias are a great option for your size tank. They are affordable and provide excellent flow with low energy consumption.

I'm assuming you are looking to do an aggressive FOWLR tank.?. Just a word of caution most of the fish found in those kinds of tanks require larger systems to thrive. They are messy eaters and you will need a very good skimmer to keep up with the DOC.

As long as you do regular PWCs (which I recommend highly with a predator tank) have a good quality skimmer you shouldn't have an issue with algae.

yeah i plan on a dwarf zebra lion fish i read they were messy eaters but shouldnt be fed more then 3 times a week,which helps cut down on there waste and with two power heads the BR/LR and a filter i hope everything will work out fine with there waste. What do you recomend for a good protein skimmer? Also i was looking to just do a biowheel filter with LR as the filter media. BUT any ideas for a CUC...sorry i have some questions but you can only learn so much from books and online sites and i see everyone is very helpful here.

Welcome to AA and good luck....The best Advice is to research , research ,ask questions and then research!! Live and learn!!!

I would forgo the biowheel filter and get a good skimmer. Check out the octopus line of skimmers they are great bang for the buck. I would suggest getting one rated for at least 100g since you are going with the messy eaters.

Snails are probably the only thing you can really do for a CUC.

Yes. Add the base rock and LR to your tank and then start your cycle and by the time your cycle is done it will all be LR.

do you think it would be good to add two powerheads and wat are some good snails for my CUC?

I would have at least 2 powerheads.

Astrea, margarita and cerith snails are great. If you are going to go with a small grain sand bed then you can have some nassarius snails that will help keep your sand bed turned.

yeah i read that it is better then live sand but who knows im kinda in debate about this whole aggressive tank idkif im going to enjoy just having like two lionfish in there

REEF REEF REEF REEF........

You know you want some corals.......LOL

You do what makes you happy and fits in your budget. Just remember...once you go reef you never go back.

oh most def do i want some corals i guess ill start FOWRL and then slowly start going to reef, i do like the lionfish but i def think i'd get bored watching one and nothing else. thanks

Back
Top Bottom