New member with questions about stocking plan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I currently have a 10 gallon tank w/ 1 blue damsel, 1 emerald crab, 1 scarlet hermit, 1 astrea snail, 1 black turbo snail, and 1 blue leg hermit. This was a tester tank to see if I could do it. I have had it for several months and now plan on going to a 55-75 gallon tank. I was just wondering what you guys thought I should get as far as fish. I have no idea what will go well with what. I want all fish to be brightly colored. Also in what order should I introduce them to the tank? Thanks in advance.

Stocking

Which fish you choose depends somewhat on the setup youre planning. Will this be a FOWLR or Do you intend to keep corals as well ??

Another thing to factor in is if your going to move your tenants in the 10 gallon over to the new tank. As with anything in nature, your current pets may be a potential food source for certain fish. Here's a chart with marine fish compatibility to better help you decide:
Marine Compatability Chart

The general rule is to add the peaceful fish first, then the semi-aggressive, and the last will be your most aggressive fish.

Midas blenny for the bright yellow/gold. 2 blood red shrimp for the red of course. A pair of clowns (ocellaris) for the vivid orange and white. And maybe a firefish or two. Might have to ditch the damsel during the switch if he's a mean one.

Oops. My manners. Welcome to AA!! :) :)

Midas blenny for the bright yellow/gold. 2 blood red shrimp for the red of course. A pair of clowns (ocellaris) for the vivid orange and white. And maybe a firefish or two. Might have to ditch the damsel during the switch if he's a mean one.

Oops. My manners. Welcome to AA!! :) :)

This will be a FOWLR tank, I think my damsel is mean lol. I have seen him attack the snails shells while they are on the glass. Also, is this list a good estimate on the max number of fish. I'm leaning towards a 75 gallon. I really want to keep the blue damsel if I can it is like an electric blue.

some of the fish that I really want include royal gramma, yellow tang, blue damsel, clowns, blue hippo tang, flame angel along with the blood red shrimp, emerald crabs, snails. Anyone care to make a list including as many of these as possible? 75 gallon tank

You did it quite backwards as the 55 should have been the tester tank. The smaller the tank the harder it is as the smaller is less forgiving of water parameter swings and mistakes. You`ll find out as you go the 55 or 75 that it will be easier than the 10 gallon tank.

OK, ditch the damsel you have, give up on the thought of either of those two tangs, and maybe even the flame angel. Both of those tanks are relatively small for large fish (or those that grow large). The new damsel should be added later as he'd likely bully newcomers to the tank. I'm not a fan of any damsel BTW. :)

OK. Clowns are the exceptions. Some of them are too mean for my taste too. I've had bad experiences with YSM, and clown tangs. Nasty buggers, they were.

And I know all damsels aren't created equal, but I will do the clown versions of them. Some clowns.

Back
Top Bottom