New QT filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it would help me to answer your questinons if you gave more info about the tank. maybe a picture if u can? but i think u should be fine with the filter and no pumps. i recomend cheap lights and a hood becaus they would help with evaporation, but are not needed.

Need a lot more information on what kind of a tank you want to ultimately set up. Is this going to be a FO, FOWLR FOWLR and inverts, or a reef tank. Each of these setup may require slightly to significantly differenct set up and lighting requirements as well as filtering requirements. No on the air pump for a marine tank. That is accomplished usually with a combination of powerheads and a good filter system.

Next issue is if you want to have LR in the tank, you need to determine CC or a sand bed and then the tank also needs to be cycled before you add any inhabitants in it. Sorry for more questions than answers but as you can see it is not that simple and we want to be sure we give you the correct information. I would also suggest you do some research and reading. There are some really great books out there that will describe the various system types, the requirements etc. After reading, you should have enough information there and from researching this board to make an informed decision on what kind of tank you really want and what is involved in setting it up and maintaining it. HTH 8)

This 35 gallon is just a QT for my 225 FOWLR with dsb. I just want to know what filter I should use for a qt. I know I should have it bare bottom and put some pvc fittings in it to give the qt'ed fish a place to hide.

I am just uncertain if I should just use an airpump or if I should get one of the filters in the link of my original post. Also does it need to have any lighting. It will be housed in an area where there is only lighting on for maybe 5 minutes a day.

Sorry, did not understand the question. If you do a search on my previous posts, you will see a variety of threads to setting up QT tanks. However, NO on the air pump, and yes on lighting. You will need I would say about 60-80 watts of lighting. Remember fish only usually eat with the lights on (depending on variety) but you need only minimal lighting. Please let me know if you need more information. HTH

One of those would be just fine. I keep an extra one in my main tank to seed it with the various bacteria to 'jump-start' the biological filtration in the QT. Powerhead not really necessary but would not hurt one bit. Bare bottom, and keep an eye on your chemistry, especially ph which tends to go wacky quickly. HTH

FWIW, my 20 G QT has a sponge filter (just the cheap $10 kind) run by a small air pump and also an old Penguin 125 (minus the biowheel). It's been going for a couple of months and with weekly 25% water changes the nitrates haven't gone above 5 with two clowns. I skipped the powerhead because the tank is small and I only have big maxijets, but a lot of junk settles on the bottom and I think a small powerhead would really help that stuff make it to the filter. I've just got a NO light for a 10-gallon on there and the fish seem fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom