New Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flamron

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for a good dependable protein skimmer. I am going to use on my 55 gal FOWLR. I would like to spend under 100 bucks on it if possible. I already know I will not get a skilter or seaclone, read too many bad things about them. Thanks!

You won't find a good dependable skimmer for under $100 that is not a Seaclone or skilter. The only skimmers in that price range are air stone driven and don't match even come close to matching the quality of the venturi designed skimmers.

If you want a good skimmer at a not so bad price (~$130), get a Pak Pak 2. This is a HOB.

If you want a really great skimmer for a little more (~$160) Get an Aqua C. Again this is a HOB design.

Both of these skimmers also come in a design that allows them to be placed in the sump.

I'm pleased with my Red Sea prizm skimmer. Its a HOB and I got it for @ 80 bucks with a surface skimming attachement and a carbon basket insert. Many people don't like the prizms but for me it skims my 20 well enough and I've never had any water chem problems. It says its good for up to 90 gallons but I wouldn't use it on anything over 55 gallons. One downside is it can be difficult to clean the inside, there are some angles etc. that make brushing out the inside a pain, not the collection cup but the actual innards of the thing.

Back
Top Bottom