New sump/refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought an aqueon proflex sump model 3. I am planning to set this up with a fuge. However, I don’t have the macro algae and mud/sand for refugium yet. Can I setup the sump and then add the refugium materials at a later date

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. When you do add them you will most likly have to turn you tank pump off for a few hours to let the large particles of sand and mud settle. Also make sure you have a sponge or filter sock to put in there so it helps to clear the water as quickly as possible.

If you can i would add it all during a water change. Shut the pumps off, empty the section of the sump you will have as your refugium, add everything and let it settle, then top it off with water and turn the pumps back on.

You can definitely add the refugium later. Just do the sump now and later you can add the refuge parts. Added water volume is always a good thing. When you do go refuge skip the mud. I added it to my refuge covered by sand and I dont see any benefits from the mud. I keep sand and Grape calerpa in mine.

Back
Top Bottom