New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM8560

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI all im new here and starting a new 26 gallon saltwater tank. Not knowing anything about salt I bought what my lfs recomended for the bottom layer I put in 2 bags of crushed coral and mixed the tap water with salt and a dechlorinator. the tank set a week before i added some fish. right now ive got 6 small damsels that i put in last thursday. sunday after reading here i learned i needed an amonia and nitrite test so sunday morning got them. sunday my amonia was 1ppm and the nitrite was .25ppm today monday there still the same. Is the amonia susposed to go higher before the nitrite climbs? and how fast doese this normally take, should I see it change higher soon?

Welcome Mike.

Got any rock in there? If it were me, I'd return the fish, remove the crushed coral, rinse some finer arogonite sand to death, get some base rock, get a grocery store shrimp or two, and cycle the tank. Know what that is? There's an article at this site that'll help you.

Also, ask around here more. The LFS isn't giving you the best advice in my opinion.

Just a store decorative rock. I learned about the fishless cyleing too late. Whats wrong with the Crushed coral?

thanks Mike

I personally like the crushed coral... it keeps my ph right where i want it.. 8.1.. but i guess its personal preference... i used 20lbs of crushed coral/live sand and the rest was pool filter sand.. it works great for my case..

Anyways.. if you dont have live rock your tank will take 10x longer to cycle.. its kinda steep.. but if you need it NOW go to your lfs and get about 20lbs of live rock.. the other rock in the tank now will be colonized soon enough..

live rock isnt cheap... and i dont know thoe going price in florida... down here in texas its about 9 dollars a lb though.

it will help with your situation..

Also what lighting are you using?

Crushed coral has been know to harbor lots of left over food after some time. All those nooks and crannies are hard to get to for clean up crews and owner vacuum/cleaning. Not real soon, but after some time, you'll see. Well, what kinda livestock you putting in the tank anyway. Could make a difference.

You need some rock right away IMO. Or you might have to go thru all this again.

I agree with Ray. Sand is much more prefered because it does not trap waste and debris causing high nitrates. It`s also easier for your CUC to sift and go through.

Well, what kinda livestock you putting in the tank anyway. Could make a difference.

You need some rock right away IMO. Or you might have to go thru all this again.

What would be good inhabitants with CC in my tank? and the rock is a good size one I dont think id have room for much more unless I remove it first.

on the light its a floresnt one that came with the tank.
thank for any info folks

so now after 9 days of testing. first test was
amonia 1 nitrite .25 nitrate 0
2 days ago I had
amonia 2 plus (maybe) Nitrite 5 nitrate 2
tonite it is
amonia 1 nitrite 5 nitrate 40. from the shade of the test (API) it loks like 40 maybe more, it was a dark shade of orange not yellow like b4.

doese this sound like it should and should my amonia and nitrute soon drop to 0? shouldnt the amonia have gone higher then 2 before it came down?

I didn't understand you had any rock in there at all from your first post.

I'd like to have seen the ammonia go higher than 1 also. Describe the rock. What, is it half the size of the tank space?? How many pounds is it? Where'd you get it from and did it stink?

Reason I'm asking is because it could make all the dif in the world on your cycling. Cured vs uncured makes a dif.

I didn't understand you had any rock in there at all from your first post.

I'd like to have seen the ammonia go higher than 1 also. Describe the rock. What, is it half the size of the tank space?? How many pounds is it? Where'd you get it from and did it stink?

Reason I'm asking is because it could make all the dif in the world on your cycling. Cured vs uncured makes a dif.

The rock is just decorative. I don't think there is any live rock in the tank.
And a long way to go for cycling...

Keep the ammonia down! By doing lots of partial water changes(PWC). Ammonia is highly toxic to your fish and so is nitrite.

Most recommend keeping nitrates below 10.

Good luck.

Get rid of the fish. Back to the LFS. No need to the PWCs that way either. Dump the fake rock (if there is). Get some base, or live rock, and throw a grocery store shrimp or two in there for the ammonia source. Again, see the article.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have way too many fish too. I have a 20 gallon and I have 3 fish and that is pushing the bioload. I would definitely cycle first, otherwise, you're killing fish and wasting cash....who wants that? Your local fish dealers will buy back your fish. Get a frozen shrimp, drop it in there, eat the rest for dinner :) Let the shrimp rot in there and cycle your tank. Then, after about 2 months, you should be ready. I wouldn't put in more than 3-4 fish tops, one at a time, allowing about a month in-between new fish. It's a hobby for the PATIENT. Did I mention PATIENCE? LOL.
You'll get great advice on here from people who know tons more than I ever will. I've had my tank for one year, and thanks to these guys, all fishies are alive and thriving. Best of luck!

Well my amonia came down to 0 last week then my nitrite came to 0 the nirtates were high but after water changes its all down to 0s :D

the Damsels are doing fine verry happy. im goin gto look for some cleaners maybe some snails or crabs. see how they do before i add more fish. Actually ive got to find a good store I got my tank from petco and they dont have a large selection of fish or any live rock and plants.

Back
Top Bottom