new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d.dog_fletcher

Aquarium Advice Regular
as every one knows i had this 55 gal hex front tank . well i was having a lot of problems with it as not looking the way i wanted it to the fack it is not drilled so every thing was hob . so i went on the hunt for drilled tank for a good price and found this 55 gal with stand and canopy with overflow box for 180 $ . now i just got to find out what all i need to go under the tank to get it up and running . my faith in being a owner of a nice salt water tank is restored . . hope you like the picks and also there is a pick of every thing i all ready own . i know the filter wont be of no use to me and this tank . so any info will be be appreciated.

img_1197350_0_05b13c22509fd36f0561eac79b1a0c2e.jpg

img_1197350_1_1614170b987ec7384966ea7c7f0a5a0d.jpg

img_1197350_2_0d5048c53c0a60bd34e8c386b9fdf61e.jpg

A lot of people here say to size your skimmer 1.5 x tank size,so you may want to return your skimmer and get one for a 100g tank!! I'd also use 2 heaters rather than one and get a refractometer.

i would return a lot of that stuff. as dave said, the skimmer is too small for your system. they don't work that well anyway. i would get one rated for 125-150 gallon tank actually, considering the sump volume. the brand i would probably go with would be octopus.

i too, would return the hydrometer and purchase a refractometer.
and thirdly, i also would use 2 heaters.

i would return the cannister and build a sump out of a standard tank. probably a 20 long. i know the space is limited under a 55.

if you are planning on keeping photosynthetic livestock, i would return the hagen t-5 lamps and purchase ATI lamps for that fixture. i see 2 lamps. is that a 2 bulb fixture? will this be a reef or a FOWLR?

thanks for the info guys helps a lot . i am returning the skimmer and filter tomorrow . i do have two heaters for the tank both rated for a 60 gal tank and my lights are a 2 bulb fixture and i got two of them for 4 bulbs total . i am going to be buying a Aqueon ProFlex Modular Sump Filtration set up and a skimmer for 115 gal tank . my plans for the tank is fowlr . only plans for fish is two nemo fish . once i get the full hang of sw tank i will add some coral that's easy to take care of . if you guys got any suggestions on good pumps and what kind i need please tell me

pumps for flow or return from sump, or both?
those koralias you have are good. i might have gone with a 2 or 3 though, instead of those model 1's.
for return from sump, danner mag drive pumps are popular. i like Quiet One brand pumps myself.

that's a reef ready tank right? a mag 7, mag 9.5 or quiet one 3000 or 4000 would do fine for a return pump.

yes i do believe it to be a reef ready tank . its a built in side over flow with two holes . one for drain one for fill also is it the 4000 or the 4000hh you recommended

either will work fine. you don't have that much head loss that you need the HH (high head) model, but it's up to you.

ok small update here . when i bought this tank it had one bulk head in it but up side down . meaning the nut was inside of the overflow box making it imposable for my big arms in get in there . on top of it being up side down there was more silicone on it this all the seals for the tank lol well 4 hours latter a hair dryer cutting blade razor blade hammer and flat head it is off .
img_1198884_0_1eab3bd92c51dd3531e67e1e145e1fff.jpg

img_1198884_1_0d5048c53c0a60bd34e8c386b9fdf61e.jpg

now it is time to start cleaning the tank . what can i use to clean all this all stuff off the inside of the over flow and glass behind it .
img_1198884_2_6ec2897d92f46efffbb5d43a9d628aa7.jpg

img_1198884_3_6dae6bc99dcc84b3a09838acbffa3864.jpg

I believe this is a reef ready tank. The built-in side of the flow through the two holes. Is a row of a meeting of its 4000 or you recommended 4000hh.

well tank has been put on hold for a week or two because i will be building a new canopy for this tank because i found some soft spots in the wood it was made out of and not sealed . so next week i am hoping i can get to that . also if any one can tell me where a good place that wont brake the bank to buy a retro x4 light kit with moon lights . i would love it

i also thought of this-
Hydrofarm 4 Lamp 6500K 4' T5 Fluorescent Grow Light - Plantlighting Hydroponics
all you need to do is change the lamps. i used an 8 lamp version of this over a coral tank i had and it was an excellent fixture. the only downfall was that there was only one cord, so you couldn't run just the blues by themselves. that is only for us anyway- the corals don't care about morning and evening transitions, all they care about is enough light to carry out photosynthesis.

sorry mr x i have not got back to you sooner . as far as money goes i am not to set on a price only because i know how to save money to get what i want . also i am in no rush . i want it done right the first time . lol . i have looked at a few retro kits and i don't know might just buy one in cased instead .

ok bit of a update . i got my stan about 98 % done and the canopy about 70 % done ( pics will be up later ) . i allso have ordered the 6 lamp nova extreme prolight .

.now here is another ? i have on a thought i was having . since there is only one over flow box in my tank what if i was to use those two holes for drain and have two new holes cut in the back of my tank for return .

now if i was to do this .
? 1 would i be just wasting my time .
? 2 would there be anything to gain from doing this
? 3 what size holes should i drill
? 4 does it madder if the holes are in the middle or towards the ends

thanks for all the help so far guys

Back
Top Bottom