New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon tank and was wondering if I needed to wait for it to cycle if I have live rock that has already been cycled and have saltwater already in it..it use to be a hospital tank with just saltwater no medicine or anything in it..but I put new live sand in it...will it go through a cycle? Any help would be great

I put in bio spira I think it's called but I was just wondering if adding new sand would create a cycle?

Yes give it time. It will cycle. May be a small one but its best to wait. Nothing is worth rushing into

You should be fine if you washed you sand out really good! If you used actual live sand that comes wet in the bag your more than fine!
Sand is clean, not like dry live rock which is full of dead matter causing ammonia and nitrite.
Still through in some food, a couple of days later do some water tests and you'll know everything

I would give the tank as much time as you can. The longer it cycles the better the results. I know its exciting and hard to wait, but it is totally worth it in the end. You will save time and money by doing it the correct way.

I would give the tank as much time as you can. The longer it cycles the better the results. I know its exciting and hard to wait, but it is totally worth it in the end. You will save time and money by doing it the correct way.

+1000. Give the the tank 4-6 regardless of whether you think it is cycling or not. Dose it with pure ammonia and when you can dose to 8-10ppm and it be back to zero within about 24 hours I'd say you build up enough bacteria to support life in captivity

+1000. Give the the tank 4-6 regardless of whether you think it is cycling or not. Dose it with pure ammonia and when you can dose to 8-10ppm and it be back to zero within about 24 hours I'd say you build up enough bacteria to support life in captivity

Why would you put ammonia into a tank that has cured rock!!! He put new sand in!!!

Why would you put ammonia into a tank that has cured rock!!! He put new sand in!!!

Sorry missed that part I thought this was a brand new tank my fault :( when he said hospital tank I was thinking a bare tank with PVC like my QT and HT.

Back
Top Bottom