New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babybump2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would the first step be live rock and salt water on its own?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Filling it up and cycling the tank is your first step. Get yourself some rock and sand and fill it up with saltwater. Then get yourself an API test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Toss a cocktail shrimp into the tank, you can put it in some pantyhose if you want to keep it clean. That will start your cycle off.

I just put mine to cycle this weekend. It's my first as well. I have a 36 gallon bow front which I originally was going to set up as a freshwater tank but fell in love with the saltwater world. ;)

I got some live sand, live rock, and water. I started adding a bacteria additive today called MicroBacter7. I will be adding the shrimp once my test kit comes in on Wednesday. It's terrible to not know where my levels are as yet but, at the same time, I know I'm taking my time and I am not going to do anything without making sure that it's the proper and best next step.

This forum has been a blessing for me and I hope you feel the same as well! They will give you sound advice and steer you in the right direction. I am happy to be among such a wonderful group of knowledgeable aquarists.

Should I run the filter and power heads n all whilst in cycle?

Yes. It will help move everything along.... I also turn on my lights one hour in the morning, then again at 4:30 after I get home from work. I turn them off at night before going to bed.

I hope this helps! :)

~Liza

Thank you I'm shore I wil have some more questions,

LOL! Trust me- I KNOW!!! This is my first tank as well. I'very been researching for months now, trying to learn what I can and to understand what I need to do for my own little piece of marine ecosystem. ;)

Ask away!!!

Put the rock in before the sand so you have no dead spots and it'll be more stable.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you mean I shouldn't have live sand under the rock?

Do you mean I shouldn't have live sand under the rock?

This is news to me, too. I have mine cycling with sand under the rock right now! I hope that someone who is more knowledgeable answers this one rather quickly! :eek:

if you get digging fish that burrow they can cause rocks to fall and break the glass
so yes always add rock before sand

It's just for stability, have the rocks sit on the bottom of the tank and put the sand around it. If you are already set up and cycling it's no big deal, just dig your rocks down a bit so they are set in the sand not just sitting on top of it...

It's just for stability, have the rocks sit on the bottom of the tank and put the sand around it. If you are already set up and cycling it's no big deal, just dig your rocks down a bit so they are set in the sand not just sitting on top of it...

Thanks for the advice on this topic! I will take care of stabilizing my tank this weekend. :)

Back
Top Bottom