New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to look at a 265 gallon tank tomorrow and would like some initial input. If I buy it I will have many more question but just needed some initial advice. The tank has two overflows and a sump and a large fake coral insert. I already have a 100 gallon fish and coral tank and want to set this one up as fish only so I can get all the fish that were either two big or would kill the coral in my existing tank. How would I set this new tank up? Do I need live rock? Any input would be helpful in my decision

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run a sump on my 120 fowlr.
Dry rock will become live rock in time naturally.
I run caulerpa in the sump and a protein skimmer.
Not much different then any other tank but a larger bio load usually comes with predators.
Think of a marine predator tank like an Oscar tank!
I only have 2 fish in my 120.
Snowflake moray and a miniatus grouper.
Is the tank filled so you can see it won't leak?
What kind of equipment comes with it?

Do you need live rock....No you don't. You will however need a biological filter in there somewhere. Whether its chaeto or macro algae in the sump, or a couple of big canister filters.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437926900.794418.jpg
This is the picture I got. I am assuming it comes with everything. I don't know everything yet though I will find out tomorrow. He says it dosnt leak and it looks like it was filled recently. I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. It's almost three times the size of my current tank

To me LR and a skimmer would be all you need for good filtration. Looks like a pretty nice tank.

Just got the tank home wow is it heavy. Haven't had to much time to go over it but it's a 265 gallon with a dual overflow and looks like 4 returns through the back of the tank. I need some help setting up this one. I got a large return pump (will look for more details tomorrow) and some rock but that's it. I have An old 40 I could turn into a sump but I don't think it's big enough. Also am going to need to plumb it all. Not sure where to even start at this point.

SWEET!(y):dance:
You got some good help on this thread already(3 experienced reefers and mods:cool: and one bone head:facepalm:!)
I'm pretty confident they and I may be able to help you!:brows:
The 40 could work but the bigger the better for ease!:popcorn:

you can drop it off here , :D Nice score for sure the only thing I would change is 86 the insert , once you get that beast up it's going to be the bomb I'm jealous ,

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438214324.390526.jpg
So I am trying to figure out how I am going to plumb the tank. It has 6 returns through the back and two holes in each overflow. I don't know that I need that many returns. I'm thinking of pluging the ones in the sump and two in the back and just use 4 returns and two overflows to the sump. Also I don't think the 40 is going to be enough looking at the tank. I have a 2200 gph pump. Not sure what type of protein skimmer to get or heater. I am going to get a double 7" square sock filter I think. Just ordered new bulk heads and I am going to start re plumbing this weekend any ideas?

Well, how did he have it set up? All 6 can't be returns, where would the water be draining from? Is it plumbed to drain out the bottom? If so, I'd plug that up and only work from the back.

Yeah there are two holes in the bottom Of Each overflow and six I. The back of the tank. I was going to use one in each overflow to drain into the sump than 4 of the six in the back for returns and plug the rest. I don't know exactly how it was since it was drained and I only got some of the plumbing. I guess I could just hook them all up and add lots of valves so I can choose latter.

Thanks that's a lot of info. I can't believe that a 1" drain only flows 600 gph. That means I need like 4 - 1" drains to the sump. Not sure how I am going to be able to do that. Sounds like I am going to have a busy weekend just running plumbing

Back
Top Bottom