new tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I were to go from the 30g salt tank to a 50 or 55 can I do so without adding a ton of extra machinery? My tank is in my living room which is carpeted and I wouldn't want the worry of flooding my home. Can it be done with the usual filters and heaters?

Also, I have a question on setting up. Would it be better to take out 50% of the water in my established tank, slide it and the stand away from the wall and begin setting up the new tank to cycle in its place and then simply transfer my fish to the new tank. Or, should I set up a smaller tank and put the fish in it until the new tank cycles. I seem to think my first option is the best.

Need answers.

If I were to go from the 30g salt tank to a 50 or 55 can I do so without adding a ton of extra machinery? My tank is in my living room which is carpeted and I wouldn't want the worry of flooding my home. Can it be done with the usual filters and heaters?

What equipment do you have now? The ratings on things is usually off, but necessary info. Is the 30 plumbed? Skimmed?

Not sure what the usual filters and heaters are, but I think the answer is yes. You may need a higher rated heater (or 2) and you will definitely want to add more rock overtime.

Also, I have a question on setting up. Would it be better to take out 50% of the water in my established tank, slide it and the stand away from the wall and begin setting up the new tank to cycle in its place and then simply transfer my fish to the new tank. Or, should I set up a smaller tank and put the fish in it until the new tank cycles. I seem to think my first option is the best.

Need answers.

IME, it's easier to do the whole shebang at one time. When we upgraded our 20G to a 50G, we drained 50%+ of the water out of the 20G and into a garbage can that we had some new water made up in. Moved rocks to keep corals as wet as possible and put a small PH in there for flow. Then moved it and put the new tank in it's place. Filled the new tank with the temp & SG matched water and let it run for about an hour. Moved the fish and started moving rocks into the 50G. We were going from a 20G with no skimmer, weekly PWCs of 20%, and HOB to a plumbed 50G with 20G sump and skimmer. That is just my experience and the variabilities possible are infinite. Good luck!

Thanks HN1. I'm wondering, are you saying I don't need to cycle the new tank if I use 50% old water and established live rock and other plastic plants that have been in the old tank? That would be great if I can do it. Or, am I missing something. Please get back to me. Thanks.

The water has no nitrifying bacteria in it so the water makes no difference. The nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces such as the LR and tank surfaces and sand. Nothing wrong with adding the old water as long as you are not having parasite and disease problems.

Your "cycle" is in your live rock for the most part. So, I guess I am saying that. lol

The water is really a matter of keeping consistent parameters and convenience.

If you are going to a bigger tank with your current rock, you should be ok without a seperate cycle as long as you don't do anything to increase the load for awhile. I'd move everything and test daily for a couple weeks with new water at the ready for any mini-cycle that may present. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom