New Tank Build Thread! 55 Gallon tank upgrade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Friends!

As some of you know, I got a 29 gallon fish tank that I had up and running for about 3 months. Well two days ago I had a Clown Fish jump out of my tank and I was upset. I went that night to the pet store and bought a Coral Beauty because my wife liked the fish.

Today I went out and bought a 55 gallon upgrade for the Coral Beauty. I got the tank and the hoods for a good price. I still will be taking a month and half before I can start the process of putting together this tank. I am saving for the Stand, and I need 20 more pounds of live rock, and 40 more pounds of live sand. I got 50 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand now.

The plan I have is simple. I want to move all my equipment over to the new tank. I only need to buy one power head. I got one already, so I just need another.

Here is my few questions, because I need help. I never just moved things over before and I want to plan this now so I can do it as easily as possible.

Questions:

When I set up the 55 gallon to start the cycle, I will only have 20 pounds of live rock in it and 40 pounds of live sand. I will not have any filters are skimmer on it as the equipment will be needed still for the 29 gallon. Will the extra power head be enough to keep the water moving for it to cycle?

Once the tank is cycled, how do I proceed to move over everything? Will it be OK to do just one big move with all the live rock and fish?

The live sand I have in my tank now, do I need to rinse it? Should I just rinse it out with dirty cycled tank water and put into the 55 gallon tank?

Will the equipment and rock that is already cycled be good enough to handle the bio-load of the move?

My fish line up as of right now is (I have them in my 29 already)

1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Blue Spotted Puffer
1 Coral Beauty

I said before that I would only want the four in the tank and that's it, but this 55 gallon is big! What else would you suggest to go in the tank with that line up?

Thanks for all your help guys!! I am excited and can't wait!!

Attachments

• IMG_2231.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 172
woohoo! nice, 55 is a good size. fills a wall, I also have a 29, seems much more petite.

I personally like my chromis for the brilliant color that flashes blue-green-sparklywhite as they school. nano fish, low waste producers.

do you like blennys or gobys? my other favorites for their cute faces and personality. so many to choose from, dragonettes are cool too. I had a scooter blenny that was awesome!

This is my tank now, when I get the 55 set up, I will be able to open up the rock some more and be able to see the fish a little more than I do now. Woke up today to my Puffer killing on of my hermit craps. LoL I didn't want hermit craps, but the LFS gave me some. So now their food. :-/

I don't like Chromis. :p I don't know why, but they just seem plan. I don't want to over crowed my tank. I really bought the 55 for the Coral Beauty. I might get only 2 more fish for a total of 6. I think a Goby would be cool. So that might be on my list.

I still need help on how to do this transfer. Will all my live sand and rock I have now help me skip the cycle process of the 55? Just switch over everything quick and fast? Being my filter already has the Bactria in it?

Pajama cardinals are awesome. :) I think they'd be good in that tank. 6 line wrasse is a good choice! My brother has had one for a couple years and he's a splendid addition to his 55. :)

I'm excited to be following along!

the chromis are the dumb blondes of my tank, nobody really needs them around but they sure do make for a little eye-candy ;) all dressed up and waify so they barely need a beer to get em drunk and hyper. Cheap too! All look identical lol

But yes, I agree quality over quantity! I'm giving mine to help a friend cycle a tank so I can try a puffer :)

My lawnmower blenny is beautiful and has whimsical eye lashes and a deep gaze like an A&F model

Attachments

• image-3345956378.jpg
    image-3345956378.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 177
If I were transferring everything I would

Put the water from the old tank and live stock in to a Rubbermaid tub or trash can. Rinse the sand with fresh ro/di water. Out the sand in the 55g then the old water , live rock and live stock. No need to cycle the tank with all the old stuff.

Just keep the livestock separate and minister for any mini cycles from the disruption

Would it be a good Idea to put in a Bottle Bactria product to make sure the move is not so bad? Like Dr Tim's One & Only??

Would it be a good Idea to put in a Bottle Bactria product to make sure the move is not so bad? Like Dr Tim's One & Only??

In my experience absolutely. I used it and so will my partner for his tank in a month or so. Good shiet

I used" dr Tim's one and only" it worked great

Getting a Custom Built Stand ready. Won't be done until the end of next month, but that's when the person can Finnish it. I got it a little taller than the 29 gallon stand I have now. It's only 28 inches high, so I got it up to 36 inches high. Open back so I can add a sump later on, and 49 in across and 20 inches wide so the tank will sit more in the middle and I won't risk the stand being too top heavy. So the guy that is building it designed it to be able to hold up about 800 pounds. So it should be fine and good to go!!

Got a question!

Is there any Tang that could do well in a 55 gallon? I see some Tangs that a lot of websites say 55 gallons is good. But that includes the Yellow Tang. So I don't know what to believe. :p I am not going to put a Tang in a tank unless it can live healthy and be ok for it's life.

Hey guys, an update to my build. It has not been going fast, as my tank stand is still in the works. Once I get my stand I will have to paint it, which shouldn't take me long.

Other than that nothing has been moving forward. I am happy to report my fish are healthy and happy in their 29 gallon. I have not had any problems with it, so I am hoping my success will transfer over to my 55 gallon!

Update!

Another Update...

Well, I guess I will keep this going. I got my custom stand for my 55 today. Now I need to paint it. I am going to stain it black I think and varnish it. I like the wood look and it would be a shame to lose it. I am happy with my stand, way better than what I could get at stores. I love how everything is off the floor as well..

After the staining or painting (Still deciding), I will get the extra rock and upgrade. I got 30 pounds more of sand and some Bio-Boots to help the move process.

Attachments

• IMG_8444.jpg
    IMG_8444.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 92
I put a background on my tank, and put it on my unpainted stand. I used Seaview for the background, so I hope it works ok. It looks like it's a 50/50 on the Seaview when I looked up the ratings.

I have a towel over it because the background was being back-lite and the other background was showing up too much. So on to painting!!

Attachments

• IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7654.jpg
    IMG_7654.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 128
the yellow tang is fine in a 55 your good money i had a full size yellow tang in my 55 until i upgraded to a 90 he had plenty of room and was as healthy as an ox hope this helps good luck

(Uh oh here comes the Tang police, ditch your contraband and scatter!!)

Hehehe well I am just jokin around, never had a tang myself just witnessed the tang police doin rounds before ;)

Back
Top Bottom