new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougsbabygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my first tank and may have questions from time to time. I have read alot but still may need help. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bonnie

For example

1. How much does the light need to be on in a 24 hr period during the cycling process?

2. How long before I start seeing the nitrate levels start to rise?

3. What is the optimal temp. needed during the cycling process?

You don't have to keep lights on while cycling, some don't use lights at all because with the nitrite, nitrates, and ammonia the tank may have algae blooms. I used lights since I was using live sand from an established tank and live rock without any base rock.

It will vary how long it will take to start seeing nitrates.
Are using shrimp or ammonia to start the cycle?

I kept my temperature at 76 to 78F.

Firstly, welcome Bonnie! :)
1) During the cycling process I believe you don't need the lights on at all but I personally had mine on during regular daylight hours. (A timer on the powerpoint is really good to have the lights turning off at the same time every night.)
2) When your Ammonia and Nitrite levels begin to drop. This signals the cycle is ending.
3) Normal tank temperature is perfect. (26C or 78F)

You beat me too it joy! :D

The only thing I would change is that the temp can be anywhere between 78-82. But the main thing is stability. Where ever youy have it make sure it stays the same and does not bounce around.

Back
Top Bottom