New to this with 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Its2sunny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, pretty new to everything to do with Fish, and i kinda wish i read a forum like this before i impulse bought a tank. Anywho, thats done now, and i just require some advice, which would be greatly appreciated.

So i have my 10 gallon tank, with 10lbs of live rock which is cycling. I bought it cured. I have a heater and a filter which i was told would be fine for my tank size.

The main concern i have is, will this equipment be enough for my tank size, or do i need to invest in a protein skimmer? Im also adding a solution to my tap water to get rid of all those harmful chemicals, but should i invest in a RO? Or any other equipment?

Finally, when coming to fish, i know i'm really limited by size but i had mu=y heart set on a set few, but i think i might really be pushing it for room.

so this is kinda what i want, please let me know, if you think this will be possible, cheers.

2x Ocellaris Clown fish
1x Blue/Green Chromie
1x Goby (not quite sure what type yet)
2xScarlet Hermit Crab
3xZebra Hermit Crab
2xTurbo Snail

Is that over kill?

So this is what it looks like at present. It has been cycling for 3 days now.

Attachments

• image-3800502149.jpg
    image-3800502149.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Oh no im sorry... :( tooooo
Many fish for a tiny 10 gallon. :( too many. I suggest adding more hermits and snails, some fire/peppermint/cleaner shrimp. And 1 clown with 1 small goby

Cheers, i thought as much. I think i might just get a bigger tank in a few months, and then slowly migrate the rock and the few fish and critters i have into that. Hopefully that won't be too traumatic for them.

In terms of equipment, i think i might just buy the RO and protein skimmer, as i've decided that a bigger tank is the only way forward. Gonna see if i can pick something up for cheap and move the rocks and sand over now, as I've only just started cycling.

I second....way to many fish. The basic rule of thumb is 1-2gal of water per 1" of fully grown fish. The clowns can get up to 3 1/2" each, so thats 7". I do the 2gal per 1" so that the two clowns are out for me. You could do one clown with a small yellow clown goby, they max size is under 2". Unless you do all nano fish under the 2" size, sorry to say you won't be able to do anymore then 2 fish.

Stay Salty,

Cheers for the advice guys. So if i don't manage to get a larger tank in the next few days, ill just get two clowns, and the critters.

Does anyone know of a good reputable online dealer where i can get a reasonably priced tank, shipped to Canada.

In my opinion 2 clowns would be a bit over the limit, but it could work. Because o the lack of space there could be agression between the two and the chances of death are higher because they will pollute the water quick

If you are going to set up the 10 gallon and move to a larger tank just do the goby first. Then when you get a 40 gallon get the chromis next and then the clowns. When you add fish you want to start with the most peaceful and do a fish a month with the clowns add them both at the same time. I would also hold off on the turbos until you get the other tank because I doubt there would be enough algae in a 10 gallon long term for them to survive.

Good news. I just spoke to the pet store where i bought the 10G from. they've agreed to take it back and i'm gonna switch it for a 30 Gallon.

Well happy. so i just need to take the water, sand and live rock out of my current tank store them in a bucket for a day before migrating them to the new tank tomorrow evening.

Does anyone foresee any issues with doing this? i believe this is my 3rd or 4th day cycling with live rock.

Thanks for the help.

Okay, so i managed to get a 38g, to replace my 10g impulse buy tank. I've had it cycling for 2 days now, as well as my live rock cycling for 3 days in my 10g. They're all in the one aquarium now, so i dunno if i can call that a 5 day cycle. But i'm going to play it safe and call it 2 days. (hopefully that explanations makes some sense.

So this might have been jumping the gun, but i tested my water about half an hour ago, with the following results.

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 10ppm
PH = 7.8

Is this a normal result for such a short cycle period?

Here is a snapshot of my tank. Any scraping advice, comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-2489040354.jpg
    image-2489040354.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 149
The scape looks good to me... Lots of little caves and hides - fish will love it!

No issues with switching though I would have gone with uncured rock to help the cycling of your tank. What are you currently using to cycle your tank? You need something to get the cycle going like a frozen piece of shrimp or a hardy fish like a damsel.

I have 30lbs of cured rock. 20lbs in the tank and another 10lbs of lr rubble in my Eheim chamber filter.

Would adding macro algae at this stage be of any benefit? And or adding amphipods/copepods?

This is such a boring stage of the hobby. I'm just trying to read as much literature as possible. Just to keep me distracted, and not stare at an empty fish tank. I think i would stare at growing algae... i've become obsessed, maybe even possessed with the possibilities of creating an SW ecosystem in my home.

So, just to keep myself busy, i've been trying to create a community tank, which will be reef safe, just in case i do go down the coral route in the future.

I definitely want clowns, 2x Ocellaris, 3x Cardinal, and some sort of Goby. I'm just worried about the Cardinals. I don't want a territorial battle commencing in front of my eyes. Does anybody have any experience with them, and how they interact as a group with the rest of the aquarium life?

I too have become obsessed with the hobby. Outside of the navy I got a second job so I could have more money for it. And the cardinals are a peaceful fish so I would add them first. Not all at once though, two fish at a time. Then you could add the goby then for sure add the clowns last since they will be your most aggressive fish. If you add in that order you shouldn't have any issues with territory.

Stay Salty,

Back
Top Bottom