Newb question - sump vs canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard that canister filters produce more nitrates than sumps. I'm running two canisters on my fowlr setup.

Any gurus out there that could explain why a sump is better than a canister or could you point me somewhere that highlights the benefits? I trust they are better but I am wondering why. I found a used sump/return pump/overflow/skimmer combo for $160. I want to make sure I get enough bang for the buck vs 2 canisters.

Thanks.

I think I've found some answers. I'm still not sure why canisters build up nitrate and sumps do not.

It has to do with the keeper's laziness to clean out the canister when needed. Sumps are so much easier to clean IMO because it requires less time to clean.

Canisters build up detritus in their substrates over time without proper/regular maintenance. Over time, without proper cleaning, they house and produce nitrates when the filters should be removing it.

A sump on the other hand, isn't really a filter....just added space/volume to house other filters (a skimmer, more LR rubble etc).

Personally, a sump with a few compartments to house LR rubble, and another for a skimmer is hard to beat. They're much less maintenance than a canister filter imo.

Thanks for the details. I will eventually upgrade to a sump. Tank is recently cycled and the fish are already stressed. I will give it a bit to let them get in the swing of things first.

Back
Top Bottom