Newbie advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tone973

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it easy to turn a fowler tank to a reef tank? The reason I ask is because I want to start out with a fowler tank then once I get the hang of it go to a reef.

It's not difficult. You'll need really good lights, and more flow for a reef, and to monitor more levels, like calcium and magnesium for example. Depending in how much rock you have, might need to add more so you have places to put corals.

I have a 55 gallon tank how much rock do you think I will need ?

Rule of thumb is usually 1-2 Lbs per gallon. Everyones tank varys tho. Base rock is always a good idea for adding more rock. The live rock in your tank will eventually seed the base rock turning it live. This does take time however.

I purchase 65 lbs of live rock from someone. Some of the rock was black is this good to go in my tank or no ?

ForumRunner_20130301_114656.jpg

as black is that good. ?

I purchase 65 lbs of live rock from someone. Some of the rock was black is this good to go in my tank or no ?

as black is that good. ?

Was the rock right out of his tank? Power heads and heater? If not you might want to wash it really well and start curing it. You don't want to introduce dead bacteria to your tank. Also did you ask the person if they ever treated the tank that houses rock with copper?

I have already put the rock in the tank. Water and all are good. Temp is 75 degrees. Any other tips on getting started?

I didnt use the rocks that had real bad black stuff on them. I put them to the side.

Is your tank already cycled? Sometimes adding rock like that may cause your tank to go into another cycle. Just depends on how the rock was handled and if there are any dead organisms/hitchhikers on the rock. Just watch your perms.

Do you already have fish in the tank? Have you tested for copper? If this is turning into a reef tank that is very important, copper will kill inverts too...

The rock is already in my tank. I have not tested for copper. I am a newbie. I only have a hydrometer thus far.

Ah ok, no fish then? I think someone has asked already but is the tank cycled? My advice would be to get a saltwater test kit so you can check your water. Tell us more about your set up, size, lighting, filtration etc...

No fish yet. Tank has not cycled yet. Its in process now. 56gallon tank. About 50 lbs of rock. Im currently using MicroBacter7 to help with the cycle. For lighting im using metal halide. Dont have my light hooked up yet so for now its just got the little pet smart light on it.

And for a starter filter I am using an aqua clear 110

You should be fine for the rock then. It might actually help with the cycle. Also an aqua clear 110? Isn't that a power head? Do you have a hob filter? A test kit will be very valuable. Also sometimes hydrometers aren't accurate. I'd recommend taking a sample of water to you lfs and having them test your water with a refractometer. That will tell you wether your hydrometer is reading accurately. You'll get tons of help from this forum.

Cool, I have never heard of that product for cycling but sounds good. You got any power heads? Planning on a skimmer? What's your plans for livestock when you are ready? I have a 55g so similar size, different footprint tho...

Me either, hopefully the rock that you bought had some good dead stuff on it. The ammonia test will tell a lot! Keep us posted

You should be fine for the rock then. It might actually help with the cycle. Also an aqua clear 110? Isn't that a power head? Do you have a hob filter? A test kit will be very valuable. Also sometimes hydrometers aren't accurate. I'd recommend taking a sample of water to you lfs and having them test your water with a refractometer. That will tell you wether your hydrometer is reading accurately. You'll get tons of help from this forum.

Yea that makes sence to do that witb the water to make sure my hydrometer is corect. And no the aqua clear 110 is a filter. I have a power head also. And yea this forum is the best! :)

I remember when I first tested I thought my water was a perfect 1.023, then I took a sample to my lfs and she broke the news to me that it was only 1.017. Heartbreaking when you're anticipating getting fish.

Cool, I have never heard of that product for cycling but sounds good. You got any power heads? Planning on a skimmer? What's your plans for livestock when you are ready? I have a 55g so similar size, different footprint tho...

Got one of these. And I plan on a skimmer soon. Got any ideas for me on a skimmer. Im starting with a fowler but want to grow to a reef eventually

ForumRunner_20130301_210713.jpg

Back
Top Bottom