Newbie Fish Compatibility Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to start up a 29g FOWLR tank in the not to distant future and I'm currently researching what fish I'd like for the tank while I'm in the process of setting up the tank and cycling it.
I know I want a pair of Ocellaris clownfish and I'll eventually get either a Diamond Goby or a Sleeper Gold Head Goby for sand sifting duties. Probably have a cleaner shrimp, a handful of snails and hermit crabs.
I'm still weighing pros and cons of the other species that interest me and I'm trying to decide which ones will make the cut and which will not. I really like the coloration of the Royal Gramma, Firefish, and the Six Line Wrasse and from what I've read, I shouldn't have any temperament issues with those guys. However, my biggest concern with these guys is that I've read that they are hiders and I don't want fish that I'll never see.
I've also read contradictory statements on the web, and here for that matter, about Green Chromis being a peaceful schooler and then I'll read that they pick each other off one by one. Which tends to be the case?
I love the coloration of the Yellowtail Damsel, is it true they tend to be less aggressive than other damsels and if that is the case, would they possibly work with some of the guys I've listed above?
I've also seen on a number of compatibility charts that the Bicolor Dottyback would work with the clowns and is more boisterous and active in a tank. It would give me the purple/yellow color fish that I love and I'd probably see it out more than the Gramma. I know they don't go with the shrimp and I'd probably have to cut the Firefish for it, but that isn't a big deal. Would that work?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm still a ways off from putting fish in the tank, I'm in the process of purchasing LS and LR and getting everything squared away, but I'm the kind of person that does a lot of research before I do something.
Basically, I know I want the clownfish, so knowing that and some of the fish I've expressed interest in could you guys make a list of what you think would be good tankmates?
Thanks.

Hi! I'm not an expert on saltwater but use the aquarium planner site AqAdvisor!

Don't get a bicolor dottyback, they are jerks to the max. Get a gramma along with the other 3 you mentioned. I have one and he is out the whole time my lights are on. It took him about a week to fully adjust. Not shy at all. Sixlines are neat too but can get mean.

dotty backs get nasty as they mature
I agree with bribo get a grammer same coloring just not as aggressive
I have a 6 line and he is a model citizen but than again he's in a bigger tank

I had a sixline and loved him. He was always out and about picking at the live rock. Unfortunately he decided to go carpet surfing when i was not home snd died.

I think I've decided on 2 Ocellaris clownfish, a Royal Gramma, a Firefish Goby, a Diamond Watchman Goby, a cleaner shrimp, and a handful of Scarlet Hermit Crabs and Turbo snails.
I've already purchased a glass canopy. I bought a 24"-36" FLUVAL Eco Bright LED lighting system and it isn't bad at all, but I wish it was a little brighter. I'm thinking about exchanging it for the FLUVAL marine and reef LED lighting system that is supposed to be able to support corals, which I may want to do in the future. It isn't a bad price, $169. I really like the LED moonlight feature. Does anybody have experience using FLUVAL LEDs with their corals?

Back
Top Bottom