Newbie - LR and Coraline/Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oo7cable

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,
I have a 55gal FOWLR tank. Ive had it for about a year and a half. Fish consists of 2 Percula Clowns, shrilanka (sp) Puffer, Neon damsel (about 4") 2 Blue damsel 2 Black Damsel (With the white dot) 2 "Black/White Damsels Bicolored Angel, 10-15 herit crabs. 20-25 Lbs LR, Rena Filstar XP 200 NO LIGHTING! I was told by my LFS that I didnt need it for my fish.... I had an in tank protein skimmer but could never get it to work right, so im loking for a new one, prefer to place it under my tank even though I have no sump. Is this possible? Anyway on to my Question. What kind of lighting do I need to get my Coraline to grow? I have never really grown any algae in my tank (just a very small amount of brown) good or bad. I dont know if my LR is still "alive". Is there any Coraline that I could buy online to help promote growth in my tank? Should I get some more LR? And what about "live sand" should I get some? Sorry to ramble on! Here is a pic of my LR.

Thanks!

Attachments

• lr_344.jpg
    lr_344.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 19
  • lr2_409.jpg
    lr2_409.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 24
Kent Marine has a whole line of products that help promote coraline algae growth. I would suggest adding the Calcium supplement.

oh i missed that NO LIghting comment... that's a problem. Coraline Algae likes light.

WHat are your calcium and alk readings. I would do some PWC`s to try to get them where they need to be if not correct. Post your water test results and we can go from there.

Will do, I need to get more test kits today. Any suggestions on Lighting? I was thinking of getting a Metal Halide set up, as I would love to get some Corals one day. Any suggestions? I didnt think I needed lighting, I live in Huntington Beach and my tank is across a window that gets great sunlight all day, but I guess I do. I have some sort of white "growth" all over the tank, I assume this is coraline. Its small dots that are hard to clean off the glass. Am I right? Ive also had an NO3 problem, its almost always between 20-40ppm and as high as 60ppm. I only did PWC once a month did about 60-70% but I have switched to once a week at about 20%. I am using tap water though, my LFS has crappy premix SW full of all sorts of stuff! I hope to get a RO filter, but I really have no where to place it. I still need a good Skimmer. Is there a way to place it under the tank and just run inlet/return lines? I dont have a sump. My next tank will though but who knows when I will get that! Well thanks for the input! I'll post up the test results later!

The ole 52 questions trick, huh. The metal halides would be a good choice. You can have just about any coral with them. the sunlight that comes from your window if shining in your tank is a disater waiting to happen. It will cause bad algea and eventually an algea bloom in yuour tank. Direct lighting over your tank is the only way to go since the light from your window is diffused going through the window and tank glass. The white growth is most likely pods from your LR. 10-20 percent weekly is ideal. Your 60% nitrates is most likely from using tap water. RO/DI is reccommended for a reef tank. Yes please post your results. Good Luck

WELCOME TO AA!!
I like the T5 lighting. It looks like your LR is still live, but there is no real growth on it. You should have featherduster and all kinds of other stuff. Kepep in mind, when you add lights, there is a possibility for an algae bloom, nothing to worry a bout and perfectly natural.

Ok, so I had to order a new Master Test kit, should be here in a few days. I'll post up the results then. But can anyone tell me what this growth is? I have searched all over hte internet and have found many different things that I dont know what to believe. Someone said it was white Coraline, but I doubt it. Sorry for all the Newbie questions, but I have to learn some how!

Attachments

• growth_179.jpg
    growth_179.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 20
  • growth1_634.jpg
    growth1_634.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 32
That`s not coraline it is some pods that come from your LR . They will eventually die off.

Those look like beneficial "pods" and possibly a few very small feather dusters (the onse that are not circles, mainly the ones on the left of the 1st pic).

Ok so Im still waiting on the Master Test Kit. Thanks again for all the info, I know you must answer "Dumd newbie" questions all the time! So Ive got one more for ya, Lighting! Have any of you had experience with this light?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...00033296527&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1 Seems cheap to me, even though it is name brand!
Or this one, seems much better.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...50035354148&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I would love to get a Metal Halide for under $300 but that dosent seem plausable. Im on a tight budget, I have newborn twins and Im going through diapers like crazy!!!

Thanks again guys!

Ohh sweet! I think I will get that light! I couldnt find any T-5 for under $250!

At this point an algae bloom would be welcome! At least then I know my tank is fine! I have since moved my tank away from the window. I havent noticed a difference yet, but I doubt I will. My fish seem to like it better though. Except my Bicolored Angel, he just hides in the LR all day....Is that normal? He feeds well, he just seems shy. My other fish will eat out of my hand, but he waits till he cant see me. Its kinda funny. I have a Neon Velvet thats about 4" and he used to be the Tank King, untill I got the Angel. Now it seems that the Angel is the Tank King!

Looking at your info, if you are staying with FOWLR, I wouldn't worry about MH. Also, if you are on a budget, you can probably skip the skimmer, for now and add mor LR or base rock. How big is that puffer and what kind. It looks like you have a slightly overstocked tank, looks like 9 fish?

How bad is my over stocking?

My Puffer is a bit of a mystery to me. I thought he was a "Figure-8" But after researching I found that he is actually a new species. there is no latin name for him yet. He's called a Sri lankan Puffer. Why? I dont know, I assume thats where he comes from. Hes not that Big, YET, and hes very friendly! Once a week I get him som softshell crabs to hunt down, its quite amusing! My son named him Coco as in Cocopuff...I thought it was pretty cleaver for a 4 yearold!

Ooops- He is about 3" from Nose to tail.

Attachments

• coco_130.jpg
    coco_130.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 22
WOW! That's a cool puffer!!!
This is the pert that is confusing to me:
"Neon Velvet, Damsels - Blue/Black and White/Black white spot/Blue Yellow tail/ 2 of each"
Does this mean there are two of each of these?
So you have a blue damsel, black and white (stripes, how many?), black white spot (possibly a domino?), yellow tail damsels?
liveaquaria.com might help you ID them:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=28

Yeah Coco is my favorite!

Sorry about the confusion, im just as confused!
2 Blue Devil - 2 Three Stripe - 2 Domino - 1 Yellow tail - 2 percula clowns - 1 Neon Velvet - 1 Bicolored Angel - 1 puffer so 12 fish total. Clowns and Damsels are about 1.5" each. Puffer is 3" Angel and Neon are 4"

Is that too much? I plan on building a reef someday, with a bigger tank! 125gal maybe.
They all seem to like it in there, they get along great. Theres plenty of hiding space. I plan on doubling my LR but its so expensive!! LFS its $8lbs.

WOW! That is a lot of fish in that 55G. Most of them (damsels) tend to be agressive or at least become more so, as they get older. Any chance you can take some back to the LFS and maybe trade fro some LR or base rock?

I dont think I can take them back, Ive had them for quite a while! they all seem pretty happy, is ther any signs I should look out for? Will they end up producing too much Ammonia? Maybe I should get the bigger tank...Its either that or Lights...

oo7cable said:
I dont think I can take them back, Ive had them for quite a while! they all seem pretty happy, is ther any signs I should look out for? Will they end up producing too much Ammonia? Maybe I should get the bigger tank...Its either that or Lights...
You will see nipped fins, maybe fighting. Your water parameters might start to get out of control, with a bio-load that high, especially when the puffer gets bigger.
Hmmm, bigger tank or lights? LOL! Maybe there are fellow AA'ers in your area that you might be able to give/sell or trade. Personally, I would take back some damsels. If they are not fighting now, they might soon.
Keep an eye on them and definitely watch your water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom