newbie starting a 55g FOWLR setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turboTSI

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok I am getting the tank on Friday, I am going to use 50/50 bulb (48") and use argonite, with LR, and then get the process started...

has anyone used SW bio-spira before to setup a tank?

do u recomend a skimmer?

my tap runs nitrAtes @ 20ppm what is there I can do to lower them?

in a 55g is there any eels I can add in there? if so what other fish could I mix in with a eel in a 55g?

what other filtration do u recomend?

anything else would be AWSOME
Dave

If your using LR, you won't need the bio-spira. I tried it in a qt tank and it didn't work very well. Quality LR use is the best way to cycle you tank. How much rock? Is it cured or uncured?
Definately need a skimmer, it will help keep excess nutrients out of the water and help prevent algea outbreaks and such.
Not sure about the eel, but it may depends on the other livestock you wish to have.
As for filtration, the LR and skimmer are the most important things. Are you going to have a sump?

1 never used biorio, good lr is enough
2 yes to the skimmer, people here recommend aqua c or euro reef
3 to lower nitrates get a ro/di unit to filter the water, or buy bottled ro/di water I think wal mart sells it, not sure though
4 no experience w eels, but your tank needs to cycle first so there is plenty of time to research
5 If you have a good skimmer, a dsb, and 1-2 lbs of lr/gal that is all the filtration you need, as long as you have a good flow in the tank, 10X vol/hr
6 I would read some books, the conscientious marin aquarist by robert fenner is a good one.

Patience, patience, patience
Good luck ,brad

sorry, i wanted to add something.
If you are looking to keep an eel, I think they eat lots of food, therefore add a lot of detritus(poopp) to the tank and more mechanical filtration such as a canister would help. But it kinda goes back to reasearch. Investigate what you want to keep, and then set up your system to match needs.

awsome guys... as for the RO/DI.. which ones do u guys recomend?
and as for the skimmer I cant find the AC one anywhere either that or I dont know exactly what I am looking for.. maybe u could point me in the direction of the right skimmer and RO/DI?

I was thinking of maybe 50-75lbsof LR.. prolly do uncured but I dont know yet..

as for the eel it was an idea.. I mean if not I was pondering the idea of these:
crabs
snails
sea urchin
sea cucumber
star fish
pair of Clowns
watchman goby
blenny
flame angel (if room alows)
firefish goby
Kauderns Cardinal fish
blue damsel or two
tang (smaller one.. if I dont get the angel)

the eel was y first idea but I wanted todo a preditory tank.. although I dont think a 55g is big enough for a preditory tank

Dave

Good luck on the start-up. Remember to take it slow. If you use good LR you will not need bio-spira. I have never used it. I prefer to take my time and let the tank cycle natually. Be careful of the eel. They do not mix well with a lot of fish and they are great escape artists. Your tanks needs a hood that is completely sealed or they will make a break for freedom. As for the water...Buying a RO/DI unit is the most convient because you have the water when you need, no hauling jugs back and forth from the store. The downside is that it increases your start-up cost by a couple hundred bucks. To get things going you can buy it from your local Wal-Mart, grocery store or even your LFS. Costs about .30 per gal. The nitrate in your tap water is a bit too high to use. Start off with the best and you will have more success. Good Luck! Lando

THX very much.. now is the RO/DI attached to my water source. or is it attached to the tank.. I dont undertand how those work... I guess I am wondering if it goes to the tap then what can I hook my python up to it or not?

if u could just explain to me how to use it.. and also if I get bottled water first to get it started up.. what kinda water am I looking for does the container say Reverse Osmosis water?

Dave

You can find great deals on new RO units if you search ebay. I'm sure a lot of members here have them and are very satisfied with both the cost and performance.

The unit simply attaches to your mains water and depending on which one you get it will produce something like 50 gallons a day. The only downside is that for every gallon produced it wastes another 3 or 4.. but you can use that water in the garden or to wash the car or something.

Remeber to get a TDS meter to keep an eye on how well the RO membrane is working.

ok so I would like hook this up under the sink.. cause I have an apartment so I would have to what hook it up under the sink to the line going to the faucet?

and now does the RO water run out the tap or out the RO unit? and is it a constat running unit or what.. I dont undertsand how it works...

Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4303772028&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4303780624&rd=1

I would get one of these two. I have the second one and it works great. I know other people have these models and recommend them as well. The first one comes with a small tank that you can use for drinking water, I did not need that so I went with the second one that I just use to make top off and water change water.

They come with a fitting that attaches under the sink to the cold water line up to your faucet. There is also a fitting that will attach to your drain line. When you have the unit on the processed water will fill your container through the discharge hose on the RO and the waste will go straight to the drain through the waste line on the RO, neither one comes out your faucet. I bought the attachment to fit to a garden hose, so I have it running off the cold water line to my washer then have the drain going down the drain for the washer too. HTH?

I have used biospira and it worked relatively well. The lfs said you can add fish the next day?? It don't work that well. I had a mild amonia spike that went down after 2-3 days. I then let my tank set for 2 weeks and tested water agin. All was fine. Using the bio and live rock together???? not sure though

ok I wont use it then.. I used it on my FW tank and added the fish abotu an hour or so afterwards.. never had any ill effects

Dave

I recently purchased my aqua c skimmer from captive reefs that i saw in the vendors section.
my RO unit, a cora-life has 3 quart sized canisters that have filters in them. there are 3 tubes that come out of it
1 waste water, that i use for gardening, or laundry
2 good water
3 supply line that has a garden hose connection.
I mounted the ro unit next to the sink, and hook up the hose to make water when i need it. I usually turn it on before bed and have good water in the morning.

55g with stand (crappy shot)
img_181826_0_856143cdcd3e7eebe5934d81cf9f48f2.jpg

CoralLife 50/50 bulbs
img_181826_1_6d90dcc3ad72ec8eb3128fa296fe07da.jpg

Carb-Sea Aragonite sand 40lb bag
img_181826_2_8b7ced686d25b03999d1d2c018f57df1.jpg

Canopy with light fixture (came with tank)
img_181826_3_b7763ba9b7c467223730594acafc346b.jpg

Insant Ocean salt and hydrometer (55g worth)
img_181826_4_31f760ae5d3ab23585b5c63e9cd2eca9.jpg

2 Versa Hoods
img_181826_5_88ee6f660f72be3275f1880472a243cc.jpg

not a bad start eh? I bought the 2 power sweep powerheads, 300w stainless steel heater from bigals should have them next week

Dave

Back
Top Bottom