Night Time Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dallasfrog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yestereday I was at the lfs and saw a power strip with a timer and special sockets that are for night time lighting. The strip would switch between day and night lighting based on the times you input. Anybody know how this works if you only have one light on top of the tank? I usually just turn the lights off and leave my fish dark at night as they would be in the wild. Don't they need to sleep? Should I have night time lighting? I am fighting hair algae so I turn my lights on in the morning, then off all day, then on in the evening for a few hours between dark and bedtime. Would night time lighting just help the algae grow even more?

I am thinking the light you are talking about has moonlights in it. A very low blue light that some use to create a moonlight effect in their tank. I have them build in to my SW light systems. Check your water for phosphates and nitrates to help control your hair algae. Even if they are ready 0 your hair algae is eating it up before hangs around long enough to read. I find around the 6 month mark with my tanks I get an outbreak of hair algae, I deal with it by manual removal and WC.

Phosphates is the only thing I don't check for now. I will pick up a test soon.

The timer that had night time lighting is generally used for people running a refugium. The fuge lights come on when the DT lights go out to help maintain a stable ph level. Though some people just run 24/7 lighting on their fuge.

Back
Top Bottom