Nitrate Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of water are you using for water changes? If its tap, I would bet that measures 20 if you tested it.

I use RO/DI water. I did a water change today but it didn't help much. I still have to change the filter pad. I've prepared more saltwater and will do more tomorrow. I don't like using Prime but thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Larger water changes will yeild faster results. Nothing wrong with a 50% change if temp and salinity match. Will cut your current levels in half and so on with follow up changes.

Schism said:
Larger water changes will yeild faster results. Nothing wrong with a 50% change if temp and salinity match. Will cut your current levels in half and so on with follow up changes.

+1 your absolutely right. Some people think pwc at 20% is the max.

I'm late to this party...but that is a ton of feeding. There fish in there that require feeding daily or every other day? I feed my fowlr and reef tank once a week with no issues.

Sniperhank said:
I'm late to this party...but that is a ton of feeding. There fish in there that require feeding daily or every other day? I feed my fowlr and reef tank once a week with no issues.

I know it was pretty stupid of me to increase their feeding. I don't even remember why I decided to. I'm back on a quarter of a cube and am cutting it down to every other day instead. I might even go less. I feed my bettas twice a week only.

I changed the filter pad and still have to check of there was any result. I prepared a big bucket of saltwater so tomorrow I'll try and bring it as close to zero as I can. if nitrates are still out of control, my mom will let me do my upgrade to a 30 gallon reef early for better nitrate management and a better start. In this tank's cycle, I let nitrates rise to 160 DX so I think it's those lingering nitrates that are helping with these issues.

Sniperhank said:

More feeding = healthier fish. Balancing that with nitrate control is the hard part. I feed my 29g reef 1/2 cube a day, depending on your setup you could feed even more.

Check out this link this guy feeds like crazy but also look at the method before you start calling BS. Food and light makes reef tanks thrive. Starts talking about how he feeds at 12:00min mark.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx4HOsG3Rc

Crazy but for his setup it works.

Those are miracle pellets! Unfortunately I don't think I could afford such an expensive system. I'll go along with my own methods for now and see how it goes. Heading into the true battle (aka many pwc's) tomorrow, and we'll see how low I can get them.

Bettafanatic said:
Those are miracle pellets! Unfortunately I don't think I could afford such an expensive system. I'll go along with my own methods for now and see how it goes. Heading into the true battle (aka many pwc's) tomorrow, and we'll see how low I can get them.

Lol yeah i hear ya. Was just trying to show what can be done with feeding given the right setup.

Bettafanatic said:
In my ten gallon fowlr nitrates are really getting out of hand. In there I only have a firefish, two scarlet skunk shrimp, a hermit crab, and four nassarius snails. I'm supposed to get a clown goby soon, but I might not be able to because nitrates are getting out of hand. :(

I always have trouble bringing my nitrates down below twenty. Everytime I test, which is once a week, they are 40 and then I have do several water changes to bring them down, and I only ever manage to get them to twenty. Does anyone know good methods of controlling nitrates? I was considering placing some live rock in my HOB filter. Please help!

What test kit do you use to test for nitrate?

That is your biggest issue right there. API tests for total nitrate, you want to test for nitrate-nitrogen. To convert total nitrate to nitrate-nitrogen you need to divide the API results by 4.4.

API Nitrate test instructions- testing tips said:
This test kit reads total nitrate (NO3-) level in parts per million (ppm) which are equivalent to milligrams per liter (mg/L) from 0 ppm to 160 ppm, in either fresh or saltwater aquariums. This kit includes two Nitrate Test Color Charts — one for freshwater aquariums, and one for saltwater aquariums — so be sure to use the correct chart for your type of aquarium when interpreting test results. The Freshwater Nitrate Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freshwater aquariums to which salt has been added. This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or “total nitrate.” Other nitrate test kits that measure “nitrate-nitrogen” (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.

You've got to be kidding me. I'm actually going to scream into a pillow now my nitrate levels have been normal the entire time! You must be kidding. I... I just... AUGH!

Thanks, though, for the info. You really saved my stock from dying of annoyance from all the water changes lol.

You've got to be kidding me. I'm actually going to scream into a pillow now my nitrate levels have been normal the entire time! You must be kidding. I... I just... AUGH!

Thanks, though, for the info. You really saved my stock from dying of annoyance from all the water changes lol.

I would get a Salifert Nitrate Kit and get a better reading of your nitrates. One reason I dont use API, they drive me nuts and this is just one reason why.

I am definitely switching to Salifert after this. I actually hate API for wasting all my time, money, and patience. Does Salifert work for freshwater too? I'd like to completely rid my house of cursed API

Back
Top Bottom