Nitrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine has been @ 20pprm for a while now, It sits between 15-20pprm, But fish seem to be fine, Corals seem to be healthy as can be.
So i dont know, I'd say between 0-20pprm is fine. Any higher and i'd be concerend and start doing freq water changes.

Make sure you are shake, shake, shaking that #2 bottle too! And when you think you have shaken enough and your arms are tired, have your neighbor do it lol! And make sure you are shaking the test tube too. Good luck!

I have some denitrate coming little white rock looking stuff made by Seachem
Is that Purigen? That's what I use on my FW planted tanks, it is correct that it doesn't remove Nitrates. Is adsorbs dissolved organics. I have 500ml of it in my filter split into 2 "The Bag"s (which is what you absolutely need, by the way) so I can recharge one and let the other one stay in.

Only a very well established Marine tank of good size and under excellent care will complete the denitrification cycle on it's own. Our LFS had one of these setups that was up for 10 years and they didn't do any water changes for the last 4 years, just topped it off. Then they moved the store 100 feet to another larger space and since then it's back to PWCs

Just to clarify, NO2 is toxic to fish at very high levels (100ppm +/-) and unless you are cycling I wouldn't pay too much attention to it as a properly cycled and functioning tank should maintain regularity.

For a FO tank 20ppm is fine. A general acceptable range would be 0-50ppm; although, many fish species can easily tolerate over 100ppm. It's always best to try and keep your numbers as low as possible, if possible :p

Last edited:
mine has stay 10~20 forever!!!
and weird that my refugium has different reading that stays at 10ppm lol

my softies, fishes and inverts r all doing great.
all I am waiting for its the RO/DI unit and hopefully can get nitrate lower to 5~10 in the DT.

floyd, I don't think so, just says denitrate. have not put it in yet
Seachem. denitrate

Got it. Interesting. They say that denitrification happens at a lower flow rate so high flow rates should be avoided, but this is converse to the fact that higher flow rates are beneficial to the reef aquarium. Maybe they're just talking about flow rate through this product.

Back
Top Bottom