Nitrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20 is ok, even higher is tolerable though not ideal. The higher they are the more hassles you'll eventually have.

Strangest thing, I was worried it was to high so I did a large water change, still the same, I don't understand how that can be, it dawned on me also that recently I took two major filters away from there to cycle another tank that could play in as a factor, maybe?

I did replace one of the filters

Have you tested your source water to make sure you are not adding the nitrates?

From the tap my water is really soft and all metals are out I put in a large water softner.

The odds of your water have 0 nitrates is ... well ..... probably 0. So, in the end you nitrates will continue to rise due to normal bacteria breakdown and your water changes. Moving to RO, RO/DI, etc water will lessen the increase as would the addition of some macroalgae.

IMO

If you using tap then that`s where your nitrates are coming from. I work for a water municipality. Plenty of nitrates and phosphates are added to purify drinking water. Your water softner would have no effect on them.

hmmm, I just tested the tap a minute ago the chart was very yellow indicating zero I still have the vial sitting here it is bright yellow with the api test solution, you got me confused now, but then again that doesnt take much

It's generally not super high to begin with but remember you are adding it with each water change in addition to what your tank is creating on it's own. And only a few ways to get it out.. so it climbs and climbs over time unless you do something about it

help me out here, if amonia turns to nitrite then due to good bacteria it turns to nitrate, if I am right, then why the concern about nitrates

Do I have this screwed up

read the label closely. It doesn't remove nitrates, it reduces them by removing the organics that help to create them. I would bet.

To my knowledge there are 3 ways to remove nitrates (I think).

1) water changes
2) macroalgae (or regular algae too but who wants that)
3) anaerobic bacteria via DSB or a denitrator (sulfur etc)

help me out here, if amonia turns to nitrite then due to good bacteria it turns to nitrate, if I am right, then why the concern about nitrates

Do I have this screwed up

ammonia is toxic to fish
nitrite is toxic to fish
nitrate is toxic to fish at high levels.. thus the need to PWC or other measures...

Right it says what you said and of coarse it makes a god place for bacteria growth.

I dont know how to do that cut and paste thing to quote you but , number 2 and 3 ho do you go about all that?

that was a good read and to make a reactor I have all those tools but, but, but, Thanks for all your help you and melosu sure are a big help.

I will monitor it often and decide what to do also have Nitrate sponge coming by Kent so we will try some easy stuff then do what ever is needed. Thanks Again.

Back
Top Bottom